Glove of the week: Feb 17 - Feb 23

Discuss interesting gloves listed on eBay or other auction houses.

Glove of the week: Feb 17 - Feb 23

Postby burker72 » February 25th, 2007, 8:51 am

The glove of the week is the highly coveted Speed Model from Stall & Dean with a Grover Cleveland Alexander (aka "Old Pete") endorsement. I think my favorite aspect of this glove, along with being a S&D make and being of top notch quality is the endorsement that is stamped onto the the thumb: "I use and recommend this model....Grover C. Alexander". Along with the likes of Cy Young, Ty Cobb, and Walter Johnson, GC Alexander is a prized pre-war glove endorsers. This glove was picked up using the BIN feature, snagging $750. Maybe that would be a good topic of conversation, top 5 pre-war endorsed models?

A nearly mint Mickey Mantle MMF model went for $399. It looks like the only flaw is some lacing that is missing on the back side of the glove. While everyone covets the XPG-6, and for good reason, the MMF is a good looking glove (although it is a shame it doesn't have leather piping).

A solid Rawlings HH model went for $241. This one looks like with a little cleaning, the leather appears very dulled in the pics, it could be a beautiful glove. No doubt the HH makes the must have list for any collector.

And in the "what were they thinking" category goes a Cooper Black Diamond model with a custom rolled lace web that went for the inexplicable sum of $150.

Other great gloves...Last week I missed G'works MacGregor Dick Drott model, an absolute stunner. The stampings in the MacGregors and Sonnetts really make the glove stand-out, especially when they are in condition like the Drott model. To the right of that is a Marathon Bill Lee model. I would have guessed it was a Hutch model with the styling of the wrist strap. I thought this had a great look to it from the back of the glove with the black piping and buckle. Too bad it was a lefty, it went for just $124.

burker72
Veteran Glove Poster

MMF

Postby glove-works » February 25th, 2007, 11:48 am

The MMF has leather binding, it's just not the rolled style...it's flat stitched.

The Drott was a gem!
Glove-Works
Home of "the Works"
Glove Repair/Restoration & Sales
www.glove-works.com
glove-works
Gold Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » February 26th, 2007, 10:41 am

Also on the MMF, in regards to the "missing laces" on the backside. It is my understanding that the early Fastback models had holes in the back for ventilation, not for laces.

I've seen several of these being sold with the disclaimer that "there seems to be some laces missing from the back". Those holes never had any laces!

I had seen that rolled-lace web Cooper glove and the crazy price it sold for. My first thought, besides "what the ______!", was how come I can't post my crappy gloves on eBay and sell them for ten times what they're worth?
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

every glove has its story

Postby softball66 » February 26th, 2007, 6:20 pm

Wonder if Don Droke performed that rolled lace web? He's done about a half dozen for me.
The HH was played and used very significantly by two Hall of Fame legends for catches: Willie Mays and Mickey Mantle. Not to mention used by a very talented defensive wizard Harvey Haddix. Anyone guess how he got he nickname, the Kitten?
Sonnetts have the greatest stamping in them indeed. I'm trying to think which one had the ribbon stamped in it? Brett?
And did anyone try to count the different dies it took for the Hutch glove. A sewing nightmare. :shock:
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » February 26th, 2007, 6:34 pm

Sonnett has the Blue Ribbon stamping. They also have some other things that seem to be unique to them - my Jame Davenport says "A-Bomb 300"
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Return to Vintage Glove of the Month