Best of September 2009

Discuss interesting gloves listed on eBay or other auction houses.

Best of September 2009

Postby Rickybulldog » October 4th, 2009, 3:02 pm

Wow! September has come and gone and now we look to October and the Holiday season. Where has all the time gone? The month of September had some great stuff on the glove front.

Mears had 2 beautiful gloves in the box up on their site. The boxes were photo boxes of Joe Gordon and Rogers Hornsby. Great stuff!
ImageImage

As for Ebay, there were a lot of interesting things available. Here were my picks. From Mr. Pugskiddo Ted Kubiak’s auction we got to see a nice looking ambidextrous fielder’s glove from the 40's-50’s. This one fetched a nice sum of $2,838!
ImageImage

September also brought out 2 nice Stall & Deans. Both were endorsed and went for some wonderful prices. The first was a GC Alexander Speed model that looked pretty solid at $486.01!
ImageImage

The other was a Stall & Dean 8087 Charlie Gehringer. This particular glove featured a buckle back closure. The Gehringer went for $352.57.
ImageImage

Another interesting glove was a 3 finger model.. The seller stated it was a Velvotan (he thinks)Professional pitcher’s model, but a potential bidder was curious if it was possibly made by OK.
Sold for $380.99 and the verdict?

ImageImage

Also this month, I’m trying something else for the monthly rundown. As suggested by one of my fellow collectors, I will provide a photo of some type of memorabilia (uniform, trophy, cabinet photo, game, etc) that is non glove, but something that has interest to others who have branched out. This month I chose a huge 1917 Wright & Ditson figural cup with topper. This one brought $312.78. Nice looking trophy!

And finally, some of you may have missed the biggest glove sale of the month. It was in Australia and it was a Thriller of an auction! This one brought $49,000! You can’t "BEAT IT!” Were you in on this Vinny? :lol:

Upon seeing how well this one went, a friend of mine, Frederick, was asking me what auction house should he send his glove to. MASTRO? HUNT? All I know is that it would be a NIGHTMARE to catch a fly ball with this glove!! :shock:
Rickybulldog
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby mushroomknob » October 4th, 2009, 5:41 pm

Ricky,That hornsby glove and box is great!

Dave
mushroomknob
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » October 4th, 2009, 7:10 pm

Ah, yes the 3 finger. Can you guess who asked the seller if it had any OK markings? :lol: JD was the high bidder - we had some great discussions about the glove before bidding ended. My pros and cons list was quite lengthy. JD is outsourcing his glove cleaning now so I'll have a better idea of the maker of the glove soon - we are guessing Great Western but it if turns out to be an OK, it won't be going back to CA. 8)
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby buzzy12 » October 5th, 2009, 12:42 am

Haha ! Ricky you are the best !!! It would have sparkled up my Glove collection for sure ! I didn't sell enough 'Baseball Gloves' this month, I was about $48,000 shy of getting it. I still think it was a steal !! I should have had Matt sell off some Babe Ruth bats..lol
buzzy12
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby Rickybulldog » October 7th, 2009, 12:46 am

Atta boy Vinny! Glad to see you post! I was hoping you'd take the bait! Think it was obvious this time. I was running out of options. :lol: Hope you do well on your crescent!
Rickybulldog

Postby buzzy12 » October 7th, 2009, 9:19 am

LOL, Ya got me ! I'll try to keep my stories short on here and just talk about gloves...it may be tough though! That was a "I didn't want to sell glove but had to" I was a victim of an ebay internet scam so be careful out there. Use paypal when you don't know who your dealing with !! I want to throw some collection pictures on here and can't figure it out...How do I do it??
buzzy12
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby Rickybulldog » October 7th, 2009, 10:17 am

Wow! 2 posts. Now you're spoiling us Vinny. :D
buzzy12 wrote:LOL, Ya got me ! I'll try to keep my stories short on here and just talk about gloves...it may be tough though!
:lol:
I'll be watching.
I'll email you tonight on how to do the pictures if someone hasn't taught you on here before then.
Rickybulldog

Return to Vintage Glove of the Month