Best of August 2009

Discuss interesting gloves listed on eBay or other auction houses.

Best of August 2009

Postby Rickybulldog » August 29th, 2009, 1:34 pm

Well, the 2009 summer of gloves is over and I think August did well. Mr. Jessjen2 and Crackofthebat had some nice leather up this month! Here were my picks (If you have a different one post it):

2 game used gloves showed up this month.

The first one to mention was a World Series game used glove by Pittsburgh Pirate Carmen Hill. The glove looks like a D&M model and came with a hand written letter from the man himself. This one got World Serious at $1,500!!!
ImageImage

The next game used glove was that of PCL Hall of Famer Ad Liska. This one was a McDonald Wilker model that featured a one inch web. The Liska sold for $267.78 which I thought was a good deal.
ImageImage

Now, if you are a new collector, how about investing in some Cy Young gloves. These things have always held their value. I know this has been a topic before so I won't go there. :? The first one sold for $330 and the other for $568.50!!!
ImageImage

Check out this WANER! Adult-sized and very large (as the description states). This one was Mr. Lloyd Sprout. This one was $78.99. Rob, weren’t you telling me there was interest in your Waner?
ImageImage

Now this mitt I have a little problem with. Unfortunately, it’s not with the mitt itself but with the bidder who won it. I think this is the 3rd light colored catcher’s mitt this collector has gotten over on me. The most disheartening thing is they are getting nicer and nicer as he is picking them up! This one went for $109.02. I’m keeping an eye on you Mr. VBGC.com!:shock:
ImageImage

What’s all the buzz? Check out this nice Spalding Roger Maris glove! This nice example which included the picture pocket sold for $197.50! Nice job Vinny!

Another nice one that did well was this Victor Wright & Ditson Del Pratt. Don’t mess with …..……..this one. Based on the dimensions, this one looks to be a monster of a glove. This fine example sold for $311.99

ImageImage

And finally, the glove I’m kicking myself for not picking up this month was this great Bon Tober basemitt from crackofthebat! This one looked great and featured a decker patent and an unusual tag placement. This one sold for $77.00. I dropped the ball on this one. Darn it!
ImageImageImage
Rickybulldog
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » August 29th, 2009, 9:56 pm

The guy selling the McDonald Wilker could have made more money the first time he had it up if he didn't get greedy with his shill bidding. Couldn't bring myself to bid higher the second time around because I was mad. The winning bid the second time through was lower than my bid when I got shilled. Oh well.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby mushroomknob » August 31st, 2009, 8:30 pm

That Bon Tober is a sharp looking mitt!

Dave
mushroomknob
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Rickybulldog » August 31st, 2009, 8:41 pm

I know, it's got a grandview too!
Rickybulldog

Postby ebbets55 » September 1st, 2009, 1:54 am

Great report RBD. Thanks for showing me all the gloves I never saw on eBay. Man, I gotta pay more attention. I got that second adjustable heel catchers mitt for you because the first one was so nice. It weighs like eight pounds. Didn't know you were following it. I'll put it up on the trading block for you.

I was in Vegas over the weekend and didn't think the Bon Tober basemitt was going to end while I was gone. I definitely would have bid on it. I sold it to Fred and wanted it back badly! It should have gone for way more. Sorry Fred.

JD
ebbets55

Postby Deacon » September 1st, 2009, 8:51 am

The Bon Tober is indeed a very nice mitt and the view is even grander up close. It definitely should have sold for more.
Deacon
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Rickybulldog » September 1st, 2009, 9:23 am

Deacon wrote:the view is even grander up close.
:lol:

Now that's just wrong!
Rickybulldog

Postby oldreliable » September 7th, 2009, 4:33 pm

I like that Maris! That's a beaut.
oldreliable
Veteran Glove Poster

Return to Vintage Glove of the Month