Best of April 2009

Discuss interesting gloves listed on eBay or other auction houses.

Best of April 2009

Postby vintagebrett » May 2nd, 2009, 8:03 am

Dandux Rip Sewell split finger glove - thought this one was kind of neat - looks to be in great shape. Ended at $230.50.

ImageImage

Spalding Babe Ruth split finger - later model - not the most eye appealing glove but it did go for $1001!

ImageImage

Mastermade Hal Newhouser 2 finger glove - I wanted this but the lining scared me from going higher. This is different than the other OK 2 fingers because the finger on the back of the web only goes up a little ways - the other ones I've seen go up much farther. $164.28

ImageImage

MacGregor Willie Mays picture glove box - This must be kind of rare - you see Mantle picture boxes once in a while but never Mays. I thought this might go higher but maybe the condition scared off some buyers. Still took in $419.88.

And my favorite, the Rawlings GS George Sisler with box. Just gorgeous. $688

vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby Mr. Mitt » May 2nd, 2009, 10:16 am

That Sisler is spectacular! Later model, but who the hell cares, one sweet looking mitt with a box to boot. I've seen a few (very few) Mays Autograph model boxes, but never a personal model box. Though not my cup of tea, I found myself wanting to bid on it, and bid high. I couldn't get beyond the damn "balls & misletoe" written smack dab in the middle of the label, though. What a shame...
Mr. Mitt
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » May 2nd, 2009, 12:11 pm

Between Mays, Mantle and Musial, I would have to say that the Mays boxes are seen least frequently. If it didn't have that writing on the front, I think it would have easily cracked at least $1000.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby Mr. Mitt » May 2nd, 2009, 12:57 pm

Agreed that Mays is the rarest of the three boxes, as well as cracking $1,000 without the writing. The question is, how high would it have gotten if it were in EX condition or better? A complete label, sans the added tape... I say it would have approached, if not topped, $2,000.
Mr. Mitt
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby joey » May 3rd, 2009, 6:33 pm

I picked up the Rip Sewell glove. It was an Alabama player endorsement glove I did not think I would ever see. It will go well with cousins Joe and Luke's gloves. Still looking for a Ben Chapman glove. Love the site and thanks for all the hard work! Joey
joey
Rookie Glove Poster

Return to Vintage Glove of the Month