Surprise

Discuss interesting gloves listed on eBay or other auction houses.

Surprise

Postby softball66 » January 24th, 2007, 11:59 pm

I should have posted this on my previous autograph player gloves thread. I recently saw a Ken Griffey Jr. trapeze on eBay and...no big deal ...except it's a Black Trapeze with tan lacing like he prefers and left handed like Junior. Now, it's a kids glove but kind of nice of Rawlings to mimic his gamer with a youth model with his name on it. It's got "Junior 24" stamped in the palm. Gold stamping on the black. So, why are we getting away from player models. This was a good idea. Wish they'd made a kid's glove Trapeze for Ozzie. Or did Rawlings?
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby MVALZ » January 25th, 2007, 7:24 am

Rawlings did put out a store model version of Ozzie's 12TC. It was the OZ-1, it was a little smaller and a lot inferior as you might expect. Memorable though as it had some wacky image of Ozzie in a wizard's hat stamped on the back of the Trap web :shock:
You see them on Ebay once and a while always going for more $ than they should.
MVALZ
Gold Glove Poster

Ozzie revitalized the trapeze

Postby softball66 » January 25th, 2007, 10:01 am

I couldn't be sure about my memory on that Ozzie trapeze. But, my goodness, he helped bring the style out of retirement after Rawlings pretty well dropped the idea for the XP series. I think I read where Ozzie kept his old TG12 from high school and asked Rawings to keep making it for him when he got to the pros.
Caught on again (because it is a nice trapping glove) and Rawlings got it back in the line. Other companies have picked up the design.
I've got the other Ozzie Rawlings store glove, the bar web that is signed by the cast from the movie, "Memphis Belle" which I wrote about in the newsletter.
This Griffey kids glove is a little more special because it's a lefty like Junior and the glove companies usually made one lefty to 8-9 righties ratio.
softball66

Postby mudman » January 25th, 2007, 9:04 pm

I also heard that Ozzie liked to change gloves several times a season. It seems he liked his gloves to retain a certain amount of stiffness, and did not like the feel of a buttery soft glove. In fact when you see pictures of him with his glove on, it always appears to be fairly new and in really nice condition.

Also Rawlings did make a 12TC HOH that had Ozzie's endorsement on the little finger. I have seen a couple of them on eBay over the course of the last couple of years.
mudman
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby spedrunr » January 25th, 2007, 10:14 pm

i recall that those 12TC's w/the ozzie pinky endorsements were advertised as pro issues (went for around $1k on ebay), i didn't know that it was actually a "for the commoners" model.

here's pic of the OZ-1 wizard mod

(still don't know how to post pix:)
spedrunr

Lucky Lucky

Postby softball66 » January 27th, 2007, 12:30 am

In the early 1990s when we lassoed those all those mint Rawlings 50s gloves, I traded a Bob Skinner in the box to Dave K. an exec at Rawlings for a TG glove scheduled to go to Ozzie and he got Ozzie to sign it. He did say Ozzie used several gloves a year.
softball66

Return to Vintage Glove of the Month