Glove of the week: Dec 30 - Jan 5

Discuss interesting gloves listed on eBay or other auction houses.

Glove of the week: Dec 30 - Jan 5

Postby burker72 » January 7th, 2007, 1:09 am

So I'd say that 2006 ended with a bang as some really unique gloves went on the ebay block...

Below is a "Jim Dandy" softball mitt (or is the jury still out on that) that was the topic of another thread. The glove is in beautiful condition, with the most noteworthy feature being the conjoined fingers. Also unique, the piping almost looks purple in color, but that could just be the picture. The glove sold for $249 using the Buy It Now feature. Like left handed gloves, I think that the sewing in the palm, typically indicative of a softball glove, may have kept the seller from asking more.

A beautiful Rawlings TG-12 Musial endorsed glove went for $600+. This is a cornerstone glove in the hobby, but I was still a little surprised by the price.

But the glove of the week had to be the Reach Babe Ruth Home Run Special. The glove is in perfect mint condition, going for a whopping $2500 using the But It Now Feature. So, the obvious question...would it have gone for more if it was a standard auction????

burker72
Veteran Glove Poster

Ruth RF3

Postby Mike**Mize » January 7th, 2007, 2:22 pm

I would be surprised to see this RF3 go for as much in a regular auction. I'm almost certain that this glove's been listed before; maybe winding up with a "reserve not met" the last time. You've got to tip your cap to the seller. The power of persuasion plus the helpful & evocative catalog page photo and the clear Ruth signature.
I just listed an RFO as one of those top gloves you would want in a glove collection. The RFO's top of the line. The RF3 was much less expensive and as a result, not really as well made. I wouldn't have listed either of these if I thought that they were always thousand dollar plus gloves. I know they're not because I've got three of them. The last one I found cost me under $100 and was a blast to clean and condition. True, it's not mint unused. But it's an RFO, which I'll take over an RF3, any day. Having said that, the black RF3 is a really nice looking glove. It's not that hard to imagine springing for it, if you felt you had to have it.
Mike**Mize
Gold Glove Poster

The Mint RF3 is back (?)

Postby Mike**Mize » January 20th, 2007, 1:22 pm

Can anyone tell me what's up with the Mint Black RF3 Home Run Special? I thought we all wittnessed as having been sold a few weeks ago. I noticed that it's back and up for sale.

(1/20/07 back on the auction block (eBay) and quickly off again; sold again(?))...A few minutes after I posted this question, I checked and the black RF3 was ended.

It's been an interesting week watching my own RF3 working it's way through its 7 day auction. Almost in response to Burker's question about how an RF3 would do in a regular auction format, I put this one out there with all kinds of photos and a modest starting price. I'm proud of this glove regardless of how it winds up. It was a rescue operation for me and I think it looks great (albiet used).

I actually like "used" in contrast to mint. Some of my favorite keepers have fascinating vintage repairs and alterations. You can tell they were relied upon for service and just kept coming through for years and years. I just picked up a one inch web Rawlings base mitt this week that's got an astounding triple stitched white buckskin circular pocket patch that covers most of the front of the glove. The whole glove was basic flat attic storage black when I received it. I was very cool to see the actual color of the giant patch reveal itself over a few hours of cleaning. Looks great on display too.
Mike**Mize
Gold Glove Poster

Return to Vintage Glove of the Month