Top collection

Discuss interesting gloves listed on eBay or other auction houses.

Top collection

Postby mjkm90 » December 15th, 2006, 3:03 pm

I know many collectors and some dealers. There are always collectors who remain quiet and unknown to all but the dealers who sell to them. That being said, is there a collector/collection out there that is considered tops in the hobby?
Mike H.
mjkm90
Veteran Glove Poster

Top collections

Postby glove-works » December 15th, 2006, 10:21 pm

That's a tough one...there are some "AMAZING" collections out there.

I am curious to know what number (qty) of gloves, others have in their collections?
Glove-Works
Home of "the Works"
Glove Repair/Restoration & Sales
www.glove-works.com
glove-works
Gold Glove Poster

Postby MVALZ » December 15th, 2006, 11:28 pm

'That's a tough one...there are some "AMAZING" collections out there.'

And yours is one of them my friend!

I have well over 100 myself and often consider 'thinning the herd' and focusing on a top 25
MVALZ
Gold Glove Poster

reduced

Postby mjkm90 » December 16th, 2006, 8:10 am

I've gone from 146 to 35 myself. I was 100% gloves for a couple years way back, then began to diversify my collection and pear down to my favorites. Fortunately, I began to liquidate in the days when any split finger would fetch at least $50 on ebay, any early catchers mitt $60 :lol:
Mike H.
mjkm90
Veteran Glove Poster

collector

Postby mjkm90 » December 16th, 2006, 8:19 am

Of the people I know. Rob Mucha has a veeeeery impressive collection.
Mike H.
mjkm90
Veteran Glove Poster

in the newsletter

Postby softball66 » December 16th, 2006, 11:58 am

Longtime collector Bob Mayer is paring down his collection and advertising in the glove newsletter this issue. So, if any of you guys are looking to pick up some truly handsome gloves, check out Mr. Mayer.
We've featued Bob in our newsletter.
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby glove-works » December 16th, 2006, 8:14 pm

MVALZ wrote:'That's a tough one...there are some "AMAZING" collections out there.'

And yours is one of them my friend!

I have well over 100 myself and often consider 'thinning the herd' and focusing on a top 25

I have a nice collection, but I don't think I would categorize as amazing...at least not yet.
I seem to average 150 or so, with all the buy/sell/trade activity. I often consider thinning the heard, but it's much easier said than done.
Glove-Works
Home of "the Works"
Glove Repair/Restoration & Sales
www.glove-works.com
glove-works
Gold Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » December 16th, 2006, 9:31 pm

John Graham had a pretty impressive collection at one time and then sold a bunch of gloves - does anyone still have the auction ad that had them all? I think he has been rebuilding the collection but Joe would know better than me. Jerry Ficchi had an amazing collection that he sold. I'm sure Jim Daniel has some great stuff. My dad's 1B collection is pretty nice. I agree that Rob M has a great assortment. I'm sure there are a lot of other long time glove collectors who's names have been in the newsletter for years that have collections worth drooling over as well.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby mudman » December 17th, 2006, 1:51 am

That is one aspect of this hobby that I see as very intriging. You really do not know who has what! And it also seems that the guys that have the nicest are the quietest and most humble. I guess when you really got it no need to brag and boast. But then on the other hand when someone has something really special, it sure is nice when they share it with others that have the same intrest.
mudman
Veteran Glove Poster

agreed

Postby mjkm90 » December 17th, 2006, 8:27 am

mudman wrote:That is one aspect of this hobby that I see as very intriging. You really do not know who has what! And it also seems that the guys that have the nicest are the quietest and most humble. I guess when you really got it no need to brag and boast. But then on the other hand when someone has something really special, it sure is nice when they share it with others that have the same intrest.

Absolutely. I never think posting photos or stories about what collectors have is showing off. Sharring is one of the joys of collecting. I could listen to stories regarding great finds for pennies, descriptions of nice pieces, and discussions of scarcity. We should all feel pride in our collections regardless of size and value and not feel uncomfortable with letting it all hang out so to speak.
Mike H.
mjkm90
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby stockbuddy » January 5th, 2007, 12:02 am

Hi fellow glovers,

Hope your New Year is going well. I would like to reaffirm with some previous comments on this topic that there are some amaziing glove collections out there and I like seeing them as well. Jim Daniel and Rob Mucha are great guys in this hobby and have some terrific gloves. I might add they were both very generous to allow me to use some of their glove pics in my Fielder's Dream Glove Guide. They were gracious enough to help me with reviewing the glove guide and keeping me on track. These guys are first class in my eyes. I too have found Joe Phillips, to be very helpful in my glove collecting over the years. Joe deserves a lot of credit to bringing the hobby to where it is today. Joe was also instrumental in keeping me on focus with the guide. Just wanted to say thanks much to those guys as they are great glovers and people in our hobby.

I do know there are others who also have very cool collections, but these are the guys who have helped me the most along the way.

Might add one last kudos to the glove people (dealers) that are helping others find gloves they need for their collections.

Hope you all find some great gloves in 2007.

Dave Cunningham
stockbuddy
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Return to Vintage Glove of the Month