Glove of the week: Nov 3 - 10

Discuss interesting gloves listed on eBay or other auction houses.

Glove of the week: Nov 3 - 10

Postby burker72 » November 11th, 2006, 12:37 am

I wouldn't say there were many blockbuster gloves on ebay this past week, but as always, there were plenty of interesting sales. For the glove of the week I am suggesting this Rawlings GJ62 Roberto Clemente model. I think it is rare that you see an import attract a bid as high as this ($199), making for an interesting case study. Clemente is one of those players that evokes strong emotions in many people and I would suspect that a Bobby Tolan or even a Tom Seaver glove in similar condition would not bring the same price. I'm sure the Red, white, and blue design is popular among some collectors and finding one in in nr-mint condition is probably fairly rare, usually the blue turns a pale green color. So congrats to the buyer, I suspect he is very happy...

I happen to like colored gloves and would like to find a Reggie Jackson model in condition like this --- I have a Clemente, albeit a left-handed model.

burker72
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » November 11th, 2006, 9:42 am

I just sold a red, white and blue Jackson on eBay two weeks ago that was very nice. These colored gloves seem to do very well. In the Hunt's Live Auction that is ending this weekend, they have Roberto Clemente/Brooks Robinson World Series Special Rawlings red, white and blue glove that has the original box. They are estimating it will fetch between 1000 to 1500!
http://www.huntauctions.com/online/imag ... search.cfm

A side note about Clemente - I have an author coming to visit my media center this week and talk to the 2nd grade students. He has written some biograhies for students this age and one of them is about Clemente. I read this story to the students and they really liked it, even though it has a sad ending. It is called Roberto Clemente: Pride of the Pittsburgh Pirates by Jonah Winter. I see there are some reasonably priced copies through half.com - if you have younger readers that like baseball this is a great introduction to Clemente.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Red White & Green (?)

Postby burker72 » November 15th, 2006, 1:13 am

I think the Red White and Blue gloves are so often Red White and Green that it is easy to forget what a really mint one looks like. Here is a pic of the one that Brett mentioned, the blue is drastically different than the Clemente pictured above, which went at a premium price. By the way, the Clemente/Robinson World Series special model with the box went for $2100 at Hunt auctions.

burker72
Veteran Glove Poster

XPG3

Postby glove-works » November 15th, 2006, 11:23 pm

This was certainly my glove of the week last week.....just the upgrade I was looking for.

Glove-Works
Home of "the Works"
Glove Repair/Restoration & Sales
www.glove-works.com
glove-works
Gold Glove Poster

Postby Number9 » November 15th, 2006, 11:47 pm

I noticed the $30.70 price tag on the inside, please tell me that is the original tag and not what you paid for it. Either way, great pickup. Looks like a beautiful glove.
Number9
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Robinson XPG HOH

Postby burker72 » November 16th, 2006, 8:06 am

That is one amazing glove, absolutely beautiful. For some reason I much prefer when the HOH models have a player endorsement - this probably makes me a non-purist, but I think it adds to the character of the glove. This is especially true when the player was a great fielder like Robinson (versus a Greg Luzinski endorsment for example, not that he was on a HOH model).

I can't imagine where you come across gloves like this, but I don't suspect it was a garage sale or flea market. I missed it if it was on eBay. Congratulations on the glove, I guess you don't have to worry about needing to upgrade again.
burker72
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby glove-works » November 16th, 2006, 7:26 pm

The $30.70 is the original price tag.
It was an eBay pick-up..$400, but still a bargain.
Glove-Works
Home of "the Works"
Glove Repair/Restoration & Sales
www.glove-works.com
glove-works
Gold Glove Poster

Clemente Glove

Postby ebbets55 » November 17th, 2006, 2:49 am

Hi All,

Here's a cool two-colored Clemente import with gold stampings. Picked it up for $17 at a flea market about 10 years ago.

JD

ebbets55

Tom Seaver Glove

Postby ebbets55 » November 17th, 2006, 3:13 am

That sure is a nice Brooks Robinson. Here's my Seaver HFCB17. The original price tag said $80 and then it was marked down to $65.95. What a deal. Does anybody know what year it was made? I'm clueless on late model gloves. Thanks.

JD

ebbets55

Return to Vintage Glove of the Month