Glove of the Week: July 22 – July 28 (Pita pocket???)

Discuss interesting gloves listed on eBay or other auction houses.

Glove of the Week: July 22 – July 28 (Pita pocket???)

Postby burker72 » August 9th, 2008, 6:23 am

I thought this was an interesting glove when it showed up on eBay, and then when JD bought it, I figured there was something more to it than the generic “…old youth baseball mitt” description given by the seller. I thought this may be regarded as a pita pocket glove, but now that JD has his hands on it, maybe he could advise. The glove did drum up some interest, earning $305 on 12 bids.

Next up is what I believe to be a reasonably rare “Lefty Grove” endorsed Geo. A. Reach buckleback model. The glove is in decent shape, but because I don’t recall too many Grove endorsements I’m adding it to this week’s list. The glove earned a reasonable $205 on 13 bids.

Very similar to the popular Spalding DiMaggio models is the Spalding Frankie Frisch model, although the Frisch endorsements seem to come up far less frequently. The Frisch model sold roughly from 1931 to 1946 and was always among Spalding’s top of the line gloves. This one is in pretty good shape, and is definitely worth the $120 best offer that it sold for.

The bargain of the week is this beautiful Jim Lemon Nokona “GP” Pro Line model. The backside of the glove is in beautiful shape and features the bold, classic Nokona patch. The leather looks to be very soft and in solid shape. At $64 on 15 bids, this one is a steal.

burker72
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » August 9th, 2008, 6:38 am

I'll let JD give a more detailed description but that glove is a fingerless fielders glove that was produced around 1910. Victor was making them and maybe some other companies. There was a picture of an ad for these gloves in Joe's newsletter a while back that JD has a scan of.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby ebbets55 » August 9th, 2008, 4:03 pm

This is definitely a fielders mitt from the teens. I couldn't believe it went for so cheap. I was licking my lips when I first saw it. I had a huge snipe placed. It's one of the five gloves I call novelty gloves - duckweb, pita, ambidextrous, fielders mitt and tornado palm. I call them that because they were innovative and creative models that didn't stick and/or were outlawed due to rule changes. They didn't have a long shelf life and generally were done by 1920ish. Four down, one to go.

It's a neat mitt and has an interesting lining where, if I do my G.I. Joe with the kung fu grip imitation, then I can pull the lining toward the base like grabbing a handful of a pillow. I'm very pleased with it. I'll find a picture of the ad Brett referred to and try to get it posted.

JD
ebbets55
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby ebbets55 » August 10th, 2008, 2:17 am

Here are two ads for fielders mitts. The first is from the Glove Collector Newsletter and the second is from Banana Bats and Ding-Dong Balls.

JD

ebbets55
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Return to Vintage Glove of the Month