Glove of the Week: July 1 – July 7 (Victor lefty catcher)

Discuss interesting gloves listed on eBay or other auction houses.

Glove of the Week: July 1 – July 7 (Victor lefty catcher)

Postby burker72 » July 8th, 2008, 6:04 am

So this week was probably the weakest week for glove sales that I can remember. Only if I was financially hard pressed would I consider selling any portion of my collection right now. With the price of gas and food what it is, and the economy where it is there is just less discretionary income out there, meaning lower sales prices. But let’s get on with the fun and talk about gloves. There were a couple of PRO HOH gloves that I passed over. I’m pretty sure I can’t do these gloves justice so I’ll leave those to the MGOTW thread.

I found this Victor lefty Buckle Back Victor Catchers Mitt to be rather interesting. The glove is in beautiful shape for sure, although the seller does mention the buckle strap was trimmed. The palm has a circular leather patch, which we’ve seen on other gloves. This one however, seems to be fastened to the glove using typical glove lacing, whereas most others are sewn into the palm…at least that is how it looks in the pics. Not bad for a lefty catcher’s mitt, $318 on 9 bids.

This week’s bargain of the week was brought to us by forum founder, Brett Lowman. The Wilson A2040 Ted Williams fielders glove was among their top gloves from ’53-’58. The glove looks to be in very good shape, but does have some minor "alligatoring" at the base of the glove. But the gloves leather, lining, stampings and patch are what stand out to me. The glove has been nicely relaced as well. Despite all this the glove went for the low, low price of $44 on 10 bids. Sorry Brett, that won’t buy too many Sonnetts.

burker72
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » July 8th, 2008, 3:18 pm

The market is definitely not high for gloves at this time. I understand that and I realize the prices the gloves are going to go for are lower than I would normally expect. However, a couple factors that are making me sell right now:
1) My wife and I just bought a house and it's less stuff I have to move
2) I'd like to have a little spending cash at National the end of the July
3) My wife and I are expecting our first kid in early September so I'd like to have a little cash on hand for diapers! :lol:
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby wjr953 » July 8th, 2008, 3:23 pm

Beautiful mitt and a really beautiful glove. Brett, if you ever want to get rid of the Teddy Ballgame glove, I have a spot in my display case just begging for a glove like that.

br
wjr953

Postby Deacon » July 8th, 2008, 3:25 pm

congratulations
Deacon
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby wjr953 » July 8th, 2008, 3:46 pm

Pardon me!! Where the heck are my manners? So sorry about my lack of consideration, Brett.

Congratulations on your new home.

Congratulations on your pending new arrival. God Bless.

VBR, br
wjr953

Postby awarsoca » July 8th, 2008, 3:53 pm

Congratulations Brett!!
awarsoca
Gold Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » July 8th, 2008, 4:15 pm

Thanks everyone - and the Ted Williams was a bargain for the person who bought it from me.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby MTGLOVEGUY » July 9th, 2008, 11:33 am

Congrats on the future additon!! my newest is already 5 months old, hard to believe. If any additional diaper funds are needed... let me know as I could really use that Early Wynn for my Indians collection!
Wanted- HOF Endorsed Gloves, Cleveland Indians Endorsed Gloves.
MTGLOVEGUY
Veteran Glove Poster

Congrats, Brett!

Postby Cowboy7130 » July 10th, 2008, 1:33 am

Congrats, Brett! Just remember, they don't come with a return address stamped on their hineys .... and someday you are going to wish they did! *said the father of a 16-year-old and a 13-year-old who might be willing to trade them both for a nice, well-behaved bird dog* :roll: :lol:

Just kidding ... can't wait to hear about your first game of catch in about four and half years!

And names? For a boy, how about Wilson Rawlings?

And if she's a girl, ya gotta name her .... Sonnett!
Yes, I still have my first glove.
Cowboy7130
Gold Glove Poster

Postby BigD-Moonlight » July 10th, 2008, 9:47 am

Congratulations Brett!!
May be another generation wih a class glove collector.
BigD-Moonlight
BigD-Moonlight
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby stockbuddy » July 10th, 2008, 9:15 pm

Hi Brett, Congrats from me too on the upcoming arrival!! I just became a first time Grandfather this past month so we have had some excitement in our family as well. My son and his wife had a baby girl so we are excited to have her being a part of our family.

Best wishes to you and your family.

Dave
stockbuddy
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby doubleplay64 » July 11th, 2008, 12:22 am

Congrats and best wishes to you and the wife Brett !!! I have 3 myself, 2 boys and a teenage daughter..... and if you have one of those someday then may God Bless you !!! lol
Don
I'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball."
doubleplay64
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » July 11th, 2008, 8:32 pm

I actually did bring up the name Sonnett as a possibility for a girl's middle name but it wasn't on the docket very long. :) I also thought Ada would be a good name for a girl and that was put on the maybe list for the future. My wife and I don't want to know the gender but we have names ready regardless of the outcome.

Dave, congrats on your granddaughter!
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby stockbuddy » July 21st, 2008, 12:40 pm

Hi Brett,

I am sure Fred is excited about having a grandbaby too. My grand daughters name is Avalyn Mae or Avvie Mae for short. She is a beautiful baby in our eyes, of course we are biased. Thanks for the congrats on the grandbaby. hmmm I wonder if she will like old ball gloves. Your lives will change when your baby arrives.
:D :)
Dave
stockbuddy

Postby stockbuddy » July 21st, 2008, 12:40 pm

Hi Brett,

I am sure Fred is excited about having a grandbaby too. My grand daughters name is Avalyn Mae or Avvie Mae for short. She is a beautiful baby in our eyes, of course we are biased. Thanks for the congrats on the grandbaby. hmmm I wonder if she will like old ball gloves. Your lives will change when your baby arrives.
:D :)
Dave
stockbuddy

Return to Vintage Glove of the Month