Glove of the Week: June 24 – June 30 (Reach Crescent)

Discuss interesting gloves listed on eBay or other auction houses.

Glove of the Week: June 24 – June 30 (Reach Crescent)

Postby burker72 » July 3rd, 2008, 6:34 am

Happy July 4th to everyone. Gloves were slow last week, but maybe things will pick up as potential sellers having a day off on Friday.

First up this week is a great looking AJ Reach crescent padded fielder’s glove. Reading the description by the seller, he states ”… Glove is in excellent shape according to the Vintage Baseball Glove Pocket Guide description.” I’m not sure what that means, but closer inspection of the pics does show a glove in great condition. I think the picture of the patch is very telling – the patch is very clean, the piping is good, and the lining looks to be solid, so I would have to agree, this glove is in excellent condition. In all, the glove sold for $770 on 12 bids.

A vertical tunnel loop Jesse Haines model glove did well, earning $307 on 13 bids. This is despite any really good pictures from the seller, or much descriptive info such as manufacturer. While the glove does look to be in sold shape, I’m guessing a rare endorser and the association with the Cardinals helps here.

Clearly, this is not the best Mantle XPG 6 that we’ve seen, but it may be one of the best bargains we’ve seen at the low price of $209. This glove was restored nicely by Kenny Jenkins, with new piping, wrist lining, new thumb and pinkie loops and cleaning. To me, some Vaseline or saddle soap would give the glove a bit richer looking patina, and would really add to the aesthetic value of the glove. Of course, it looks like you could just as well use this glove.

The bargain of the week was an easy choice, as a Spalding Jim Bunning 42-121 Personal Model slipped through the cracks at just $48. Like the Mantle, I know we’ve seen better, but for this low price it is worth a shot, at the very least it would be a very interesting gamer. This glove too was largely restored, according to the seller, “…The rolled leather binding has been repaired and restitched, and the lining, pinky, and thumb loops have been replaced.” The missing patch is the most unsightly aspect of the glove, of course that too could be repaired. There is some wear, modest ink, and the lining is smooth but checking, still, $48 well spent.

burker72
Veteran Glove Poster

Return to Vintage Glove of the Month