Glove of the Week: June 10 – June 16 (Spahn XPG3)

Discuss interesting gloves listed on eBay or other auction houses.

Glove of the Week: June 10 – June 16 (Spahn XPG3)

Postby burker72 » June 20th, 2008, 9:01 pm

I passed on a crescent padded fielder’s glove that sold for $500+, because there was some lining damage. Other than that and a couple of gloves listed here, it was a lean week for gloves.

This Rawlings XPG3 HOH Spahn model was sold for just $229. It would seem that among the endorsed HOHs that the Spahn endorsement, produced from ’62 –‘65, is the most common. Nonetheless, the condition of the glove is positively outstanding…a real gem, and, with my apologies to the seller, an absolute steal.

This Nokona BM82 Joe Jackson model sold for $213 on 13 bids. I’ve always found Nokona’s production of this glove to be a bit of a puzzle. Apparently, Jackson was still popular 30 or so years after the 1919 scandal to justify the production of a glove, although I thought the sympathy towards Shoeless Joe was a more recent phenomenon…or maybe that is just my own Field of Dreams based perception. Hopefully some of our forum members can offer additional info on this glove.

And now for the bargain of the week, selling for just $37 on 12 bids is a Dixie Walker MacGregor Goldsmith HC splitfinger model. This glove, sold in the late 40s, is in good, not great, condition featuring original lacing, a good patch, and classic styling…one of those gloves that were among the first in your collection and very much typical of the classic fat fingered 40s models.

burker72
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » June 20th, 2008, 9:05 pm

I was a little surprised at the price for the Jackson - the ones that sold last summer went over $400 and didn't have as great a signature as this one. I think that may have been a bargain.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby ebbets55 » June 20th, 2008, 10:23 pm

The seller on the Jackson contacted me about the value before selling it. I told him that I think it's about a $250 glove and that I had two that were not as nice that I wouldn't sell for under $250. I think it could have gone a hair higher. Looks like Rob and I drove the price up to that level. Doesn't look like it would have even gone that high with out us battling it out.

That Dixie Walker sure was a nice glove that would be good to play catch with. I paid $226 for it with the box. I only wanted the box because I had a mint one and sold the glove for like $37 bucks. Didn't quite recoup as much as I wanted to with it. Oh well. I hardly ever do.

JD
ebbets55
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » June 21st, 2008, 2:13 pm

I still think this Jackson is a bargain at the price it sold for. The ones that sold last year looked to be a different model - much smaller in size.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

walker

Postby Bravosin99 » June 21st, 2008, 2:50 pm

The Dixie Walker is a great glove...I actually bought it to play catch with and take to games with me...It is broken in perfect and I love the huge pocket...

I was able to play catch with it for the first time on Father's Day with dad at a minor league game...They allowed you to play catch with dad on the field before the game...It was a cool experience...Ill never turn down a chance to play catch with my dad...

I am going to take the glove with me to Wrigley here in a few weeks to see if I can catch a BP ball with it...Lets all hope I don't come home looking like Smalls from Sandlot lol...

Josh
Bravosin99
Gold Glove Poster

Postby GloveCrazy » June 21st, 2008, 4:07 pm

I haven't received it yet but that signature was too nice to pass up at that price. It's hard spending over $200 for a model that I typically don't love, though, but not very many Jacksons around. Let's hope it is as nice as the pictures suggest.
GloveCrazy
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Return to Vintage Glove of the Month