Glove of the Week: May 19 – May 25 (Victor Crescent Pad)

Discuss interesting gloves listed on eBay or other auction houses.

Glove of the Week: May 19 – May 25 (Victor Crescent Pad)

Postby burker72 » June 3rd, 2008, 7:03 am

Last week we had the Ruth G41 lead the way, this time around we have a beautiful Victor brand crescent padded fielder’s glove as our headliner. The glove looks to be in great shape, particularly the asbestos lining and patch, good indicators of the glove only ever having had moderate use. Also, very enticing is the seller’s comments that it fits his large adult male hand. There is a stain or smudge of some type on the thumb, but it hardly affects the glove and its display quality. The glove earned $1175 on 12 bids.

A Wilson Johnny Antonelli personal model really caught my eye. The seller failed to deliver really good pictures of the glove, but the palm side photo of the glove seems to show that this glove is in great shape and of course, very well made. The 50s Wilson models are real classics, this one sold for a well deserved $258 on 9 bids.

The Ken Wel Terry Moore “539” model featuring a v-notch buckle back and early laced fingers earned $321 on 13 bids. The glove features a good patch, solid buckle, and very clean leather. In my opinion, you can almost never go wrong with Ken Wel gloves, this one sold for $321 on 13 bids.

I like Geo.A. Reach gloves. We’ve talked about different manufacturers that are under-appreciated and I’ve always thought these fell into that category. This is as high as I’ve seen one sell for though, so it must be special…I think. This is an LB Paul Waner model with no significant blemishes, retaining some of the silver and its patch. I have not seen a Waner model before, possibly explaining its $225 price tag (on 3 bids).

As for the bargain of the week, how about a Peerless brand Jimmie Gleeson “608” buckle back model? Aside from some wear and tear on the piping the glove is in very solid shape. The “off-brand” Peerless may explain its modest sale price of just $93 on 6 bids.

burker72
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby burker72 » June 3rd, 2008, 2:45 pm

Upon taking another look at the Victor crescent pad it looks like that might be some white leather under that dirt. If the buyer is a forum member maybe you can let us know how any efforts go to restore the glove.
burker72
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Deacon » June 4th, 2008, 9:40 am

My best "guesstimation" is that this is a buckskin glove, more of an offwhite or beige in color, the leather feels more like suede. It definately is dirty, but previous attempts I've made to clean light colored gloves haven't been as successful as I'd like, so I'll likely leave this as is.
Deacon
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby stockbuddy » June 5th, 2008, 8:56 am

Deacon, Cool cp glove with a very nice old label.
Dave
stockbuddy
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby Deacon » June 6th, 2008, 8:35 am

thanks Dave
it's always nice to fill a void
Deacon
Veteran Glove Poster

Return to Vintage Glove of the Month