Glove of the Week: Apr 28 – May 4 (VWD Beesting)

Discuss interesting gloves listed on eBay or other auction houses.

Glove of the Week: Apr 28 – May 4 (VWD Beesting)

Postby burker72 » May 11th, 2008, 7:09 am

Well, this is a record setting week in the GotW thread, almost a full week late…I’ll continue to blame a busy work schedule for this, I use that as an excuse for pretty much everything else. Of course, if you’ve been on pins and needles for this week’s entry I am afraid you’ll be very disappointed. Maybe the summer weather, golf, and yard work have lead to a slowdown. I did pass on a very nice Ethan Allen endorsed glove and a Bobo Newsome MacGregor Goldsmith, in favor of a couple of real classics.

First up, is a Lutzke style Victor, Wright, and Ditson. The glove combines so some great attributes – a highly sought after manufacture, the Lutke style, and the red leather most notable among them. The glove is far from perfect, but these features more than make up for any cosmetic blemishes. An unassuming seller will be happy with $540 on 13 bids, and I’m sure the buyer is happy to be in receipt of such a unique glove.

Of course the Rawlings Bill Doak Glove needs no introduction. This is a nice example of an early version of the glove, still sporting two patches and showing off what looks to be a very clean and soft palm. The lining of the glove shows some wear, but no apparent holes. The back side pic of the glove strikes me as a little different, with the fingers displaying some flimsiness(?). I could be wrong and probably am based on the beautiful condition of the palm of the glove. If the glove is as nice as it looks, the $265 best offer looks like a great deal.

The bargain of the week, is easy, and absolutely beautiful (albeit a lefty) Rawlings Pepper Martin 400V model. The seller mentions that the glove was made for and sold exclusively by Macy's, an interesting fact that I was not aware of. This remains one of my favorite models of all-time and a super-bargain at $79 on 11 bids.

burker72
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby nygiants » May 11th, 2008, 10:33 am

Speaking of the BoBo Newsome glove which sold for $335. This is a first seen for me and I was wondering if there are any others. I would think it would qualify as a one of a kind as discussed in another thread and as such would qualify for the upcomimg Rare Endorsement Gloves gallery on JD's website. Hopefully the winner will take some better photos and post them when the gallery is started. If anyone knows of another or a different maker endorsed by Newsome (in circulation), I would be curious to know.

http://www.imageuploads.net/ims/pic.php ... x&i=151419

http://www.imageuploads.net/ims/pic.php ... x&i=151420

http://www.imageuploads.net/ims/pic.php ... x&i=151421
nygiants
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby ebbets55 » May 11th, 2008, 1:57 pm

Doug, I can't recall another Bobo Newsome glove. I was watching it too.

Geoff, I sure wish I saw the VWD 3 finger. I would have taken it for a ride to replace my lefty. If a Forum member bought it and wants to sell or trade it, please let me know. Keep up the great work on the Glove of the Week.

JD
ebbets55
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby crackofthebat » May 11th, 2008, 3:16 pm

Jim,
Maybe Brett will post a picture of his VWD - he has the same glove but in much nicer condition We were both wondering what his would go for if he put it up for sale.
crackofthebat
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » May 11th, 2008, 3:45 pm

JD, I think Paul M. bought the VWD 3 finger - I don't think it was listed very well and I didn't see it until after it was finished.

Here is the one I have for those who haven't seen it - I've called it the "Lobster Claw" since the day it was bought. :)

vintagebrett
Site Admin

3 Fingered Lobsters

Postby ebbets55 » May 11th, 2008, 9:19 pm

Hi Fred,

I have been drooling all over that red 3 ever since Brett sent me pictures of it a long time ago. Brett knows where to shop it if he ever wants to get rid of it. I know how much Brett has loved that glove ever since he got it from you. I promise, I'll give it a good home too Brett. :wink:

JD
ebbets55
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Return to Vintage Glove of the Month