Glove of the Week: Apr 14 – Apr 20 (Gehrig, MMP)

Discuss interesting gloves listed on eBay or other auction houses.

Glove of the Week: Apr 14 – Apr 20 (Gehrig, MMP)

Postby burker72 » April 25th, 2008, 6:59 am

A great week on eBay with a number of classic models selling.

First up is a Gehrig first basemitt. The seller does not advise of a manufacturer, but looking at JD’s website I have to wonder if it is a Dubow model. Any thoughts out there? One of the gloves strong points is that the Gehrig endorsement is very clean. The glove has its issues for sure, but the rarity of Gehrig gloves makes it easy to look past them. - two small holes inside the glove one in the middle finger liner and the one next to it, the thumb lining has a blown seam but no tears, a few paint specks and a light name. I suspect this is a case of a very happy buyer, $1036 on 11 bids.

I’m passing over a couple of other great MMPs from seller VBORJON in favor of the best of the lot. This glove is absolutely beautiful! The auction listing included the BIN option, selling for $800.

A nice Splading crescent pad. I like this glove because of it looks to be nicely maintained and usable – not stiff as a board. This glove went for $575 in a BIN auction.

I suspect this is the glove we were discussing last week on the forum. An excellent Ken-Wel Dazzy Vance 560 Pro Model Glove (personally, this is my all-time favorite). The glove sold for $385 by way of a Best Offer. I think the forum members gave some good advice on how much this glove could earn. Great example of a real classic.

Here is a link to a HOF article on the innovative Vance glove http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/news/ ... y=hof_news

Normally the Bargain of the week is my favorite part of the posting, but this week the high end gloves were abundant and quite interesting. I did find another interesting glove on the low end of the market, this one sold by Brett Lowman…A J.C. Higgins model 1661 Don Gutteridge split finger glove. The glove is in ok/good shape, but I thought the finger design was interesting with the horizontal stitching on the back. This is reminiscent of some Ken Wel models, and in other cases, some softball models. This one sold for $60 on five bids.

burker72
Veteran Glove Poster

Return to Vintage Glove of the Month