Glove of the Week: Apr 7 – Apr 13 (Doak 3)

Discuss interesting gloves listed on eBay or other auction houses.

Glove of the Week: Apr 7 – Apr 13 (Doak 3)

Postby burker72 » April 18th, 2008, 10:44 pm

Well it is not every week that a Doak-3 pops up for auction, nonetheless two! That being said, it had to be a good week on eBay, even if one of the Doaks was missing its wrist strap.

So here is the nicer of the two Doaks. This glove really combines a couple of glove attributes that are near and dear to our heart – the Doak endorsement and the Lutzke style finger pattern. This great combination makes for a rare glove indeed. A number of great examples of the Lutzke style glove can be seen on JD’s website. This one sold for $626 on a whopping 28 bids. I’ve got to say, it seems like we’ve seen three finger gloves sell for a boatload in the past, so this one feels like a reasonably priced glove.

Here is our second of the Doaks. This one is missing its wrist strap, but still earned $269 on 20 bids.

An absolutely classic looking AJ Reach split finger, full web fielder’s mitt. The glove pocket is darkened, but the back side of the glove looks like it will clean up very nicely. The glove seems to have been a reasonable buy at $251 on 13 bids.

From eBay seller THELUCKYDOGKIND, we have another classic looking AJ Reach model buckleback/web basemitt. This glove looks super solid – good patch, piping, lining and buckles. . Another great buy for $226 on 19 bids.

And for the Bargain of the Week, let’s try a Spalding #133 Dimaggio model. This glove is a staple in our hobby. I know I’ve said it before, but I wish this glove had a patch. Otherwise, a great glove combining the iconic Dimaggio and Spalding names, and a great design. I think this one may be the victim of poor picture taking. Just $72 on 13 bids, I would have expected this glove to sell for nearly twice as much.

burker72
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » April 18th, 2008, 11:08 pm

It's been awhile since I've seen a DiMaggio like that sell for less than $150. A definite bargain!
Click to Visit >> The Glove Shop On-Line
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby jwoody » April 19th, 2008, 8:58 am

:D THANKS FOR SELECTING MY JOE DIMAGGIO GLOVE :D
3fingerwoody
jwoody
Veteran Glove Poster

The Doak 3 from a few weeks ago (?)

Postby Mike**Mize » May 3rd, 2008, 10:22 am

Many of you must have noticed that this former "Glove of the Week" is back on eBay and up for bidding. That clearly means that it was returned by the first winning bidder. Any thoughts about why this might have happened? I can't help wondering if there's something about this glove that would be good to know. For instance, is it overly stiff? Is there some ink on it? Doak 3's are pretty scarce, so a chance to get hold of one is always tempting. Still, I'm not going near this one without first finding out what exactly got it "returned". Anybody know anything on this subject?
Mike**Mize
Gold Glove Poster

Postby drasher81 » May 3rd, 2008, 10:27 am

Here is the answer that I got when I mailed asking why it is relisted......

WE HAD SENT YOU A SECOND CHANCE OFFER AND HAD NO RESPONSE, SO WE RELISTED IT. PLUS A FAMILY MEMBER HAD BIDDED ON IT AND MESSED US UP WITH SELLING IT. SO NOW WE RELISTED IT AFTER WE WERE ALLOWED TO. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THE GLOVE. WHAT I STATED ABOVE IS WHY WE RELISTED IT.

Family Member probably won the item it seems
drasher81

Postby Mike**Mize » May 3rd, 2008, 10:38 am

:?: Interesting. I also asked the seller about it and was told simply that Yes, it was the same glove. That was clear before I asked the question. It would be interesting to find out a little more about what happened here. :?:
Mike**Mize
Gold Glove Poster

Postby nygiants » May 3rd, 2008, 10:41 am

Sounds like some shill bidding may have been going on and the shill bidder bid too high.... just a thought...
nygiants
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Mike**Mize » May 3rd, 2008, 11:03 am

:? I hate to jump to conclusions. Who knows what happened. I will say that I was the underbidder on this glove and if you check the bids on it you'll see my three bids up there positioned second from the top, searching upwards for the high bid as time wound down. I did not receive a second chance offer. So that's not correct. No second chance offer was tendered (in that the word?) on this glove. Maybe I don't want to open up this can of worms after all. :(
Mike**Mize
Gold Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » May 3rd, 2008, 11:15 am

I was told it was a "Family issue" that caused this to be relisted.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby Rickybulldog » May 4th, 2008, 1:37 am

Pmontesano was the winner on that. He has a great collection and knows his stuff about gloves. I seriously doubt he was involved in any shill bidding. Maybe there was a mistake in the listing (stiff?) Who knows...

Sorry Brett, I didn't mean to attach to your post.
Rickybulldog
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Return to Vintage Glove of the Month