Glove of the Week: Mar 31 – Apr 6 (Spalding Ruth)

Discuss interesting gloves listed on eBay or other auction houses.

Glove of the Week: Mar 31 – Apr 6 (Spalding Ruth)

Postby burker72 » April 11th, 2008, 11:18 pm

Some big ticket items popped up in the eBay glove categories this past week. How about that Winchester Umpires ball/strike counter that went for $2176? or the D&M that earned $725? Very unique items for certain, so how did the gloves hold up in comparison…not bad.

In a shocking turn of events, I am going to pass on the Peerless Gerhig model.

First up is a full size late 1930s Spalding G99 Babe Ruth model glove. The glove has a very clear and crisp Ruth stamping which is the best attribute of the glove. Beyond the stamping, the glove is in good condition, not great, good. Despite this, the Ruth endorsement really earns this glove plenty of attention. Not a whole lot of G99 models out there. It looks like this might be a glove produced after the end of Ruth's career. One of our higher end gloves of the year, this one earned $1112 on 20 bids.

Low and behold, another nice Winchester mitt. A nice buckle back, but it seems as if we have seen a couple of really nice Winchester’s pop up in the last few weeks. Maybe the sudden supply has caught up with demand and is keeping the prices down. I’m surprised that with the premium Winchester’s earn that this one only went for $229 on 5 bids.

So for the bargain of the week we have a Leo Durocher Wilson #621 model. Clearly not a mint condition glove, but I selected this one because of its unique web design – I don’t think I want to catch a ball with this one. The glove is reminiscent of the Carl Hubbell endorsed gloves, also from Wilson. The glove also features unique finger lacing, and the lacing on the back of the glove, which I've never understood. This glove went for the princely sum of $48 on 6 bids.

burker72
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby stockbuddy » April 13th, 2008, 2:15 pm

Hi Burker, nice catches. Might you know who bought the wilson T bar web, perhaps someone from our thread?. Just curious if you had the ebay link to it still. Thanks.

Dave
stockbuddy
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Leo Durocher Wilson T Bar

Postby doubleSwitch » April 14th, 2008, 10:11 pm

I was lucky enough to catch the Durocher glove. It's very well
made and in awesome condtion. The reason i had my eye on it
was because it reminded me of the Carl Hubbell glove as well.
Also because I'm a Giants fan and it fit into my collection. I dont
think i've seen this model with other than the Hubbell endorsement,
So i'm hoping it's a bit rare. any comments would be helpful
doubleSwitch
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby stockbuddy » April 15th, 2008, 2:28 pm

Hi doubleswitch, I left you a private message on the forum. Very cool T bar glove. Email me if you want to talk gloves sometime.

Dave
stockbuddy
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Return to Vintage Glove of the Month