Glove of the Week: Mar 17 – Mar 23 (Aaron PMs)

Discuss interesting gloves listed on eBay or other auction houses.

Glove of the Week: Mar 17 – Mar 23 (Aaron PMs)

Postby burker72 » March 28th, 2008, 7:52 am

A link elsewhere on the forum was talking about the lack of high-end gloves as of late. I agree with this thought, and as Brett mentioned, it is a little tougher to find gloves to talk about…seemingly one Rawlings PM model after another, as nice as they are. I’m not sure of the rationale for this. If you consider gloves like any other asset, you’d prefer not to sell when the market/economy is down. Although with enough collectors I suspect that a few high-end gloves would do quite well right now as the supply seems to be down. Let’s get back to the fun…

First up are a couple of near mint buckle-back models from the 1930/1940s. I’m not sure either one of these are particularly high end models, but gloves of this quality are rare.

Below is a Woody English Wilson-Western Fielder’s Glove. I’m sure like most, I prefer the Stall and Dean English model, but this one is hard not to like. I see Wilson English models in the source book from ’35-’40, which doesn’t seem to jive with the Western monicker in the company name. I don’t see the Western name on the pics of the gloves so I’m not sure what to make of this glove. I don’t believe that a model number was mentioned by the seller, but most English gloves look to be low end kids’ models, but this one has nice leather piping, a great looking buckle, and what looks to be quality leather…ahh the mystery continues. Regardless of all this, the glove earned $333 on 19 bids.

Next up is an off-brand, Iron Arm, Spurgeon Chandler buckle back fielders glove. This style of stampings is reminiscent of some Davega brand gloves. Any thoughts on who the real manufacturer of this glove is? The glove is in terrific condition, and the stampings are obviously the nicest attribute of the glove. This glove earned $200 on 11 bids.

This late 60’s MacGregor GF20 Hank Aaron“Field Master” Personal Model seems to feature a slightly different web design than most of the Aaron PMs that we see. This design is similar to some of the earlier MacGregors that feature the one-piece web that is an extension of the leather in the crotch of the glove. This is a great looking glove with good stampings, patch, and solid leather. A very reasonable $213 on 5 bids.

A good looking, what appears to be very full-sized, Goldsmith model sold for $305 on 9 bids. The one-inch web model doesn’t seem to retain many of its stampings, but it does have a nice patch, great contrasting piping, button, lining and solid leather on the outside.

One of my favorites, the Joe DiMaggio Spalding 133 model This one looks to feature very soft leather, retaining some of the silver in the Joe D endorsement. I really wish Spalding would have put a patch on this one. Another reasonable deal at $192 on 11 bids.

And for the bargain of the week. I am really hoping that the buyer of this glove is a forum member, and that he will share some before and after pics of this glove. I am sure this glove is going to clean up very nicely and that a little moisturizer will bring this glove back to life, mostly though I think this is a great design. A very unique MacGregror Hank Aaron Personal model features a very unique web design. The web looks very much like a basemitt style webbing with the lacing high up on the web, connecting the two pieces of leather. The glove also looks to have a solid lining and leather. I think this will be a very cool looking glove when it is given a little attention. At $77 (on 7 bid) I think this glove is a great buy with plenty of potential.

burker72
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » March 28th, 2008, 1:59 pm

On the Iron Arm Chandler, my first guess might be that this was a Denkert-made glove. Yes, I've seen similar stampings on Davega gloves (the block letter endorsement, with the signature underneath). I've seen this same arrangement on many Denkert gloves, as well as on gloves that Denkert is known to have made for other retailers, like Gambles, Olympian or Hiawatha.

I really think that Davega didn't make any of their own gloves. They were not a sporting goods manufacturer, rather they were a retail sporting goods store. Many Davega gloves I've seen look exactly like models from other makers, such as Hutch or Denkert.

Denkert seemed to make just as many gloves for other retailers as they made for sale under their own brand name- if not more!
Click to Visit >> The Glove Shop On-Line
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby jwoody » March 28th, 2008, 3:10 pm

:D THANKS FOR SELECTING MY JOE DI MAGGIO GLOVE :D
3fingerwoody
jwoody
Veteran Glove Poster

Return to Vintage Glove of the Month