Glove of the Week: Mar 10 – Mar 16 (Mint Seaver XFCB17)

Discuss interesting gloves listed on eBay or other auction houses.

Glove of the Week: Mar 10 – Mar 16 (Mint Seaver XFCB17)

Postby burker72 » March 19th, 2008, 11:13 pm

No super stand-outs this week, but there are certainly a couple of unique items to talk about…I left out the Brine model because it included a bat. I’ve included a picture for posterity…

We are often accustomed to seeing the Wilson A2034 Gomez model, but here is an interesting, earlier Gomez model. A couple of real stand out features on this one, notably the short finger design and unique wrist strap/buckle configuration. The glove is in nice shape, not outstanding, but well deserving of its 12 bids and $164.

Here is one that doesn’t pop up everyday, the Rawlings Bobby Tolan XPG6 "Heart of the Hide" baseball glove. I really like the two piece webbing on this glove from both a form and function perspective. This style makes for a great middle infielder glove, or a nice display piece. It looks like this one is in very good shape under a light layer of dust and dirt. $138 on 8 bids.

Just a ridiculous Tom Seaver XFCB 17 model. This glove is perfect, even retaining it store tag. A perfectly mint glove, this one sold for $356 on 23 bids.

Along the same lines, a Rawlings Bob O'Farrell catchers glove in mint condition earned $271 ON 15 BIDS.

Yet another Rawlings, a good looking PM Stan Musial Personal Model baseball glove that earned $204 on 22 bids. A great design, the glove retains solid stamping and original Rawlings patch.

Lastly, our bargain of the week. This week it is a Goldsmith one inch web glove that sold for all of $53. The glove is not without its flaws, most notably a lining in poor condition. But look at that the palm side pic of the glove, this one is an absolute beauty.

burker72
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » March 20th, 2008, 8:16 am

A great batch of gloves this week. Having been on vacation all last week, with limited internet access, I didn't have the chance to pore over the eBay listings like I usually do. It's great to see what I missed- kind of like missing the "big game" and relying on "Sports Center" for the highlights!

Breaking from the "Glove of the Week" edict of auctions for "gloves only", here's one I did have on my watch list. It's a good example of how having the original box can inflate the price of a glove.

The glove itself is nothing remarkable- a well-worn Rawlings Musial PMM- that would likely sell for less than $50. Throw in that colorful Stan Musial picture box, a couple of promotional booklets and a can of Glovolium and- viola!- you have yourself an $843 collectible.

Musial Glove With Box
Click to Visit >> The Glove Shop On-Line
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Return to Vintage Glove of the Month