Glove of the Week: Feb 4 – Feb 10 (White Spalding "ACE&

Discuss interesting gloves listed on eBay or other auction houses.

Glove of the Week: Feb 4 – Feb 10 (White Spalding "ACE&

Postby burker72 » February 15th, 2008, 12:50 am

A very good week for gloves on eBay. I have excluded the $1200+ Spalding 75th Anniversary Dimaggio glove. That auction included a Wire Photo and I don’t know how consequential that would be in driving the price. It was a beautiful glove for sure, but I don’t think the price is reflective solely of the glove. I’ve included a pic because it is a great example…

A unique Reach PRF model sold for $282 on 13 bids. The seller promoted the glove as not having “a single flaw”, and at the very least, it looks to be close Impressive attributes of the glove are its large size, unique pinky lacing, and condition of the leather. It is always a treat to see these gloves with stampings nicely visible.

Here is D&M G41 Ruth model that is in rough shape, but then again, it is a G41 and they don’t exactly turn up everyday. The Ruth endorsement does seem to be quite visible but the G41 stamp is only partially visible. In a rather bold statement, the seller regards the glove as being in the “very good condition range”. Looks like the leather has dried, there is a small hole between the fingers, and the lining is particularly troublesome. Despite all this, the glove earns $355 on 14 bids, after all, it is a G41 Ruth.

A very rare, very nice Rawlings Mickey Mantle Autograph model TGF 7 baseball glove netted $512 on 13 bids. The glove looks to be almost new and in beautiful condition.

My glove of the week is this white Spalding “Ace” 1 inch sewn web. The glove is in great shape and is as white as any glove I’ve seen. There is a bit of red ink on the wrist strap but that hardly detracts from a beautiful glove. I’m calling this a bargain at $429 on 15 bids.

So the bargain of the week goes against the grain for me a bit because it has been autographed glove by Rocky Colavito. However, it still only sold for $79. The seller says that this is an 1127 model, of which, I only find in the ’60 Spalding catalog as a Maris Professional model. The seller never says it is a Maris, rather that it is undendorsed, but you can see “Prof” stamping in the heel of the glove (sorry that was in pic 3 which I didn’t include). Take a look at the piping and the lining of the glove, looks like a quality model to me. The patch is in near perfect condition to boot. I almost always consider the web lacing running through the index finger as a sure fire sign of a higher quality glove, although I could be wrong. What a bargain!

burker72
Veteran Glove Poster

Return to Vintage Glove of the Month