Glove of the Week: Jan 28 – Feb 3 (Spalding crescent)

Discuss interesting gloves listed on eBay or other auction houses.

Glove of the Week: Jan 28 – Feb 3 (Spalding crescent)

Postby burker72 » February 6th, 2008, 9:54 am

A very good week for gloves on eBay, plenty to choose from. I don't think we've had too many, or maybe even any, blockbusters this year, but it does seem like there are plenty of top notch gloves having been sold.

A well-maintained Spalding crescent pad basemitt is the first glove up. The glove looks to be in good condition, sports a very solid patch, and of course features the crescent pad, an early 1900s characteristic. Some minor cleaning and this one looks to be close to museum quality. An interesting note, the seller advises that the glove belonged to Henry G.A. Black of Eastern New York /Western Massachusetts area. I find it interesting that the seller is able to offer some personal, historic lineage on the glove. This one earned $687 on 20 bids.

So Rob’s collection keeps getting better….A beautiful Stall & Dean Woody English 8061 model. English models, including the 8061 were Stall & Dean’s top of the line model in the early 30s, and this one has been well kept - just look at that lining! The glove has a great patch and design, but my favorite attribute is the stylish “English” stamping on the glove. The glove looks like it needs a minor cleaning to turn it into an absolute gem, hopefully Rob will share some pics when he is done. A great glove for $383 on a whopping 24 bids.

I don’t know much about modern day gloves but wanted to include this Rawlings Heart of the Hide PRO-SF model. The seller advises that this is a softball model based on the “SF” designation, but I’m not so sure. Anyway, I included it because of the unique webbing, one that I’ve never seen before. This one drew plenty of attention earning $365 on 11 bids.

A rare and unique Draper Maynard Walter “Rabbit” Maranville model brought in $178 on 12 bids. I’m a bit unsure of the quality of the glove though, the seller advises that the signature is faint, but readable, that there is some leather separation on the pocket side between the second and third finger, and some leather separation on the inside, where you put your hand. Nonetheless, I wanted to include it because of the unique styling of the wrist strap, which I can only recall seeing a handful of examples.

A very full-size, high quality 1950's Macgregor Willie May G101 Personal Model earned $295 on 3 bids, closing with a BIN purchase. This model was produced from ’58 – ’60 and was MacGregor’s top of the line endorsed glove. From the seller’s description…” a top of the line glove for its time with anchor lacing on the web, a little finger and thumb loop, a wrist loop, and a beautiful fully intact Macgregor Made in USA cloth label on the wrist strap. It's in great condition with only some darkening in the pocket and shows very little use. The black in the stamping remains with only light wear to the S in Mays.” The glove provides a unique contrast to the later Mays Personal Model gloves such as the GC12, produced just a few years later, which are the more customary elongated outfielder’s gloves.

Perhaps my favorite glove of the week, is this stunning Wilson Lefty Gomez A2034 personal model. This glove looks flawless, aside from two broken laces in the webbing – an easy repair. Produced from ’52 – ’58, the A2034 was Wilson’s top of the line endorsed model for many of those years. A very fortunate buyer seems to have made a very good buy at just $134.

If anything, that hal-chase was the buyer of this glove is a good indication of its quality - An A.J. Reach basemitt that featured a buckleback and positively stunning patch. Perhaps best yet, the seller advises that the lining of the glove is in great shape. So this glove is something of a puzzle – perfect patch, perfect lining (signs of little use) yet the stampings in the pocket of the glove are worn (signs of plenty of use). I guess it is the odd case of the kid, or in this case probably an adult, that actually took care of his glove. The glove sold for a very reasonable $151 on 5 bids.

And now for our bargain of the week…A Nokona Bob “Riverboat” Smith BSB model that sold for just $74 on 3 bids. This was a mid-grade quality glove that sold in the late 50s/early 60s. The glove though features a great patch, retains some of its silver, looks to be in great condition inside and out, and is black (which I think is modestly more popular than the more common brown). I was surprised by the lack of interest in this glove, I had always felt that Nokonas earned something of a premium, but I’ve been wrong before.

burker72
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » February 6th, 2008, 12:25 pm

A little non-glove trivia about Woody English: He was born in the central Ohio area, about 20-30 miles outside of Columbus and made his home in Newark. The Ohio State University has a branch campus there and my daughter was attending school there for a couple of years.

When you enter the town on the main highway, there is a very prominent sign proclaiming it as the hometown of English, along with a big Chicago Cubs logo (the "C" in a circle). A always got a little bit of a buzz seeing that sign on the way into town!

Good group of gloves this week. I'm a little surprised about the Nokona "Riverboat" Smith, too. Back a few years ago, these black loves seemed to be highly sought after, bringing premium prices. I didn't really see too many of them for a couple of years, and attributed that to their relative rarity. Then, the last couple of them I've seen in the past year sold for a lot less than the ones from a few years ago.
Click to Visit >> The Glove Shop On-Line
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

the Reach Base Mitt

Postby Mike**Mize » February 7th, 2008, 10:26 am

I received this nice little Reach base mitt yesterday and just wanted to report that with minor cleaning of the face of the glove a lot of the stamping is beginning to emerge. This turns out to be one of those early Reach gloves with a lot of text stamping on it. It's got a circle Reach stamp top center and two patent references underneath that. It's got sideways text up near the thumb, and what appears to be a script endorsement just above the Reach stamp. You can never tell about these eBay gloves based on the seller's photos. Happily, sometimes there's a lot to uncover once the physical glove is in hand. One question I have for anyone who might know;
This glove has no apparent trace of having had any lace between the thumb and finger sections (as in a "web"). I've see photos of base mitts (one of Hal Chase :D comes to mind) where the mitt has no web and it's left to the fielder to catch the ball solely by virtue the strength of his hand. Should this mitt have a connecting lace web, or not? Any thoughts?
Mike**Mize
Gold Glove Poster

Riverboat

Postby softball66 » February 7th, 2008, 11:30 am

I picked up my first Riverboat Smith Nokona about 15 years ago and this is the one that I warm up with a live/hard rubber ball against the side of the house for my softball games. It feels like Nocona got a pattern of my hand and made the glove to fit. I love the break on the glove and the black, supple leather. My good glove friend, Mike Yachnik, sent me a mint Riverboat and these are among my prize glove possessions!
I think Woody English lived in Chicago in recent years and glove Don Millington visited him there. Great guy!
softball66

Postby mjkm90 » February 7th, 2008, 9:26 pm

I am completely baffled by the willingness of collectors to spend $300+ on a modern glove to say nothing of a softball glove. It's INSANE!!!
Mike H.
mjkm90
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby MVALZ » February 7th, 2008, 9:31 pm

The SF (Stacked Fastback) is a baseball outfielder...and a nice one. I've owned a few and they feel great on the hand. Same size shape as it's cousin the PRO-CFC which many MLB outfielders used.
MVALZ
Gold Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » February 7th, 2008, 9:32 pm

Mike, I'm with you - I'd rather spend my $300 some where else. But to each their own!
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby GloveCrazy » May 6th, 2008, 8:52 pm

I know this is not a timely post but I have sort of been out of it for a while. All I can say is that when I got the English glove in the mail I nearly fell out of my seat (and unfortunately that doesn't happen as much as I'd like). It's a lot larger than the pictures indicated and it really cleaned up nice. I LOVE IT! In the same week I also picked up the G101 Mays ... another one of my favorite models. The two sort of helped make up for a lot of the other spontaneous purchases, if you know what I mean.
GloveCrazy

Postby GloveCrazy » May 6th, 2008, 9:02 pm

By the way, I really enjoy the Glove of the Week section and appreciate all the work that goes into it. Thanks!
GloveCrazy

Return to Vintage Glove of the Month