Glove of the Week: Jan 14 – Jan 20 (Mantle MM2)

Discuss interesting gloves listed on eBay or other auction houses.

Glove of the Week: Jan 14 – Jan 20 (Mantle MM2)

Postby burker72 » January 21st, 2008, 8:41 am

So after a few provocative gloves popped up last week, spurring some good conversations, this week was relatively weak in terms of high end sales. But every cloud has a silver lining…in light of the shortage of premium gloves I’ve decided to add a “GOTW under $100” to our weekly discussion. I think it will be even more challenging to find a single glove under $100 that we’ll call the Bargain Glove of the Week.

First up is a 1961 Rawlings MM2 Mickey Mantle model. This is one of the rarer Mantle models. This one features very solid, bold stamping with the clear imprint of Mantle (or at least of a Mantle facsimile) in the pocket. The glove has a nice design and is in outstanding condition. To me, the leather on this one seems to resemble the Paul Bunyan leather used and marketed prior to the introduction of HOH leather. That is simply speculation of course, and I could be all wrong. This top notch model sold for $355 on 20 bids.

From seller, vborjon comes two very nice Rawlings models. First up is a 1963-1965 Eddie Mathews Personal Model XPG10. This is a great example with beautiful leather. The patch is a bit worn and I believe it has been relaced, but the palm of the glove and the design make it a real stand-out. Both this and the Spahn feature the “flex-o-matic” palm that we talked about a while ago. Looking at this glove, that feature looks so cumbersome because of its size I can't imagine fielding ground balls with this glove - I’ll take the more tradition horizontal lacing. Nonetheless, a great glove at just $126 on 6 bids.

And to go with the Mathews, here is the popular Warren Spahn HOH PM XPG3. Like the Mathews, this glove was part of the Rawlings line from ’62-’65. The Spahn model was the successor to the famed Herb Score model. I like the alignment of the Spahn endorsement on this glove, running diagonally along the pinky into the palm, something different that makes it stand out. This model sold for a very reasonable $123 on 5 bids.

…And now for our Glove of the week under $100

For our inaugural run of this topic I’ll go with a historically relevant endorser from the most historic lineage in gloves, a Rawlings 5BD Doak model. I’ll call this one a bargain at $92 on 5 bids. The glove features a solid patch and stampings. The glove looks like it saw little if any use, but could use a cleaning or maybe better yet some treatment just to freshen it up. Now, this is a bargain because it is a lefty – which I’m going to try and avoid making this a lefty section of the thread, or a military issue for that fact. Righty or lefty, getting this glove for just $92 is a great bargain in my book.

burker72
Veteran Glove Poster

Return to Vintage Glove of the Month