Glove of the Week: Dec 17 – Dec 23 (Rawlings EM)

Discuss interesting gloves listed on eBay or other auction houses.

Glove of the Week: Dec 17 – Dec 23 (Rawlings EM)

Postby burker72 » December 31st, 2007, 12:04 am

Vegas was nice, but I’ll admit, one of the things I’ve been looking forward to was getting back and catching up with the Forum. I wish I could report on the glove that I got for Christmas, but I’m afraid that the closest I’ll ever get is a pair of isotoners…So in an effort to maintain the integrity of this thread, here’s some catching up for the week of Dec 17 – 23. Very slim pickings during the holiday season. I’d say the number of gloves under the two vintage glove categories ranged from about 150 – 250 gloves, versus the norm of 400 – 500. As always, there are nice gloves to be had though…

First up is a beautiful Rawlings Eddie Mathews “EM” Personal Model glove – what great stampings on this glove. The EM model sold from ’55-’62, and was among the highest priced glove in the line in its infancy. Unfortunately, the owner’s name was written on this glove before it had a chance to even catch a ball. This one sold for $350 through the Best Offer option.

Next up is an outstanding Spalding Triple Play “1205” model. According to the source book, this model was made in 1954 and was among the higher priced gloves in the Spalding line. This glove also features remarkably solid silver and what looks like excellent construction. I have a similar Triple Play model and it is one my favorite gloves to wear and play with, so I think this one was a terrific buy at $120 on 8 bids.

I’m always a big fan of Nokona gloves. This is the BPRO-4 Pro-Line model that appeared in the 1966 Nokona catalo with a list price of $23.95, putting it in the middle of the pack with regard to price. Condition is an obvious attribute of this glove. I like the unique quasi-6 finger styling of the web. This one feels like a bargain at $90 (best offer).

The Mantle glove of the week is a relatively rare Rawlings DF1. Yet another case of the Mantle name trumping the low quality attributes of this import model. This one sold to Dave Bushing for $400 by way of the “Best Offer” option.

A white AJ Reach “Professional Model” glove went for just $290 on 20 bids. The glove looks to be in solid shape, although the buyer advises of “2 small splits in the leather” (exterior). The BR Professional model was the top of the line mitt in the AJ Reach 1910 catalog. The glove retains some of its stampings and plenty of character.

burker72
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby burker72 » January 1st, 2008, 12:55 am

The Matthews actually showed up back in May (pic below). Looks like the buyer did a modest clean up and made a small profit on the glove...

burker72
Veteran Glove Poster

Return to Vintage Glove of the Month