Glove of the Week: Dec 3 – Dec 9 (Sonnett Six)

Discuss interesting gloves listed on eBay or other auction houses.

Glove of the Week: Dec 3 – Dec 9 (Sonnett Six)

Postby burker72 » December 13th, 2007, 7:33 pm

Not sure if there was a singular stand out this past week, rather it was a week of many really great gloves…

Sonnett six finger style gloves don’t show up every day, and certainly not in this condition. This Sonnett T6TG glove is in near mint shape, features a great design, perfect patch and stampings. As a lefty it fought an uphill battle to earn $304 on 20 bids. One of my favorite Sonnett attributes is the over-the-top stampings (Velvotan?), so I was a little disappointed when this one was a bit more subdued…But don’t get me wrong, this is a great glove. Brett, I’m not sure I’ve seen another Sonnett, without a box, sell for more. I would suspect a high end Clemente could go for more, but I don’t recall one on eBay this year. The Bertoia model that sold in Feb/Mar went for $299. So maybe this glove gets the SOY (Sonnett of the Year) award…

Other forum members are far more savvy and knowledgeable about Doaks than me, and while I know this one stands out, maybe they can offer a little more insight on the "J Special". I had one a while back, I remember it as a great glove, but it seemed as if it was overstuffed. Granted I wasn’t about to go out and play catch, but I was always tempted to try and pull some of the stuffing out. A couple of great patches and what looks like a very rich leather, this Rawlings Bill Doak “J Specialâ€
burker72
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » December 13th, 2007, 8:20 pm

I believe the Sonnett was a buy it now on eBay a couple months ago for $150 and a best offer got it just a bit lower. I was surprised at the final tally considering it was left handed. There was a mint Lightning model that sold for over 300 but I can't remember if that was this year or last.

And the Bertoia is definitely the Sonnett of the year! :lol: Here it is again in case you missed it

vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby fuzzydogg22 » December 13th, 2007, 10:49 pm

Brett, I don't know what you are thinking leaving out that beautiful Sonnet AK I remember you picking up!
fuzzydogg22
Gold Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » December 14th, 2007, 9:57 am

Yeah, that is a great glove too. I think I'll start a thread in the General Glove Discussion about "Your Top Pick Ups for the Year 2007!"
vintagebrett
Site Admin

the Doak J Special

Postby Mike**Mize » December 14th, 2007, 10:45 am

After several days the Doak J Special arrived yesterday. It's nice enough. I like this model mainly because it's a large glove and it's got short fingers. The J Model continued to have this stubby finger look right through the late 30's. Other short finger gloves of note are the Reach RFO Ruth glove, the D&M Hugh Critz and the nice looking white Reach BR that's just started on eBay this week. This old California glove turned out to be a little more dried out than it looked in the photos. The shine on the photos is a layer of old hardened glove oil, so this one poses a challenge if I'm going to get it to the place I usually strive for with my gloves. It's starting to come around. I worked some Horseman's One-Step into the fingers and behind the wrist strap and then on the exterior and just stuck it in a freezer bag and left it alone for a few hours. Now I'm able to unbutton the wrist strap and get get my hand into the glove and begin to really soften it up. Looks like it's still got a lot of original silver. We'll see how it turns out.
Mike**Mize
Gold Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » December 20th, 2007, 10:42 pm

Mike asked me to post his Doak Special so here you go:

vintagebrett
Site Admin

Thanks Brett

Postby Mike**Mize » December 21st, 2007, 12:10 am

Well guys; these are the "after" photos. The glove felt roughly akin to a large piece of very stale bread when I received it. Now I can put it on. It flexes the way a glove should. It's not too bad. In this instance for some reason I keep thinking about all the innings it has been a part of; all the balls it has caught. Clearly it was put through its paces for a lot of years. I'm happy to have it in my collection.
Mike**Mize
Gold Glove Poster

Postby stockbuddy » December 21st, 2007, 10:30 am

Mike, That J Special glove cleaned up nicely. Good job.

Dave
stockbuddy
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby Mike**Mize » December 21st, 2007, 11:13 am

Thanks Dave.
Mike**Mize
Gold Glove Poster

Return to Vintage Glove of the Month