Glove of the Week: Nov 19 - Nov 25 (Bargains - Bargains)

Discuss interesting gloves listed on eBay or other auction houses.

Glove of the Week: Nov 19 - Nov 25 (Bargains - Bargains)

Postby burker72 » November 29th, 2007, 8:45 am

First, it was very rewarding to see so much discussion there was on last week's thread. I know it is a function of the gloves, but I wish I could help generate so much discussion every week...

A different week this week on eBay. No super high end gloves this week, instead it feels like I’m writing the “Bargain of the Weekâ€
burker72
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » November 29th, 2007, 11:59 am

A couple that caught my eye last week...

Pre-war three fingers (bee-sting) gloves don't come up very often and always do well. Would you consider this one to be a bargain?

Reach Max Bishop P.W. 3-Finger

Pluses: Rare design, model and endorser.

Minuses: Seems to be missing web and it's another darn lefty!

Another endorser who's gloves are few and far between is Monte Irvin. This one just happened to sell for exactly the book value for an "excellent" condition glove.

Johnny Walker Monte Irvin

The Irvin personal signature looks geat in silver sharpie on that black glove leather. Another oddity on this one- the brand is Johnny Walker, a company mostly known for selling import gloves. This one appears to be a Denkert-made glove, evidenced by the unique "Pro Maker" stampings along the pinky. In fact, aside from the Johnny Walker stampings, this model looks identical to Irvin-endorsed Denkert models I have seen.

Strangely, this wasn't the only Johnny Walker/Denkert on eBay last week. These are the first two I can remember seeing and they both popped up at the same time.

Walker/Denkert Whitey Ford

Is there any second-tier company out there that Denkert didn't make gloves for?
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

HG Designation

Postby softball66 » November 29th, 2007, 12:40 pm

Always some neat glove stuff on EBay...to look at anyway. Thanks Burker and Brett for your input here.
A fellow just called me with a Mickey Mantle glove he owned and I think he said it was a Rawlings HG48. That threw me because I'd not heard of that designation before with Rawlings Mantles. Now the Mathews HG98
and there must be more with HG.
What does the HG stand for. I can only guess. "G" has been the long time acronym for glove in this business. Does the "H" stand for "Horween Leather?" I think the ones who do know have passed on. But hey, this makes for some interesting speculation. :roll:
softball66

Postby vintagebrett » November 29th, 2007, 12:59 pm

I'm guessing the Bishop would make next's weeks list because it ended on the 26th.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby BretMan » November 29th, 2007, 2:40 pm

Guess I should double check those ending dates so I don't jump the gun. Oops! :oops:

The "HG" Mathews had me scratching my head, too. I can't recall ever seeing that model number before.

Just a wild guess here- I wonder if these might have been produced for sale through a sporting goods store or retail chain. I have seen Rawlings gloves with a model number beginning in "CHA" that don't appear in their catalogs. Those gloves were identical to other Rawlings models but were produced for sale in the Champs Sporting Goods chain stores.

Somewhere in my glove vault- okay, in a big plastic tub- I have a Rawlings glove with a patch that, besides the usual Rawlings embroidery, says "Heckingers", which seemed to be some sort of chain store. I can't immediately recall if the model number was preceeded by an "H".
BretMan

Off Brands

Postby softball66 » November 29th, 2007, 6:03 pm

Good point Brett. I'd forgotten about when Rawlings would leave its stamping and patches on but have seperate model numbers. Best example in recent years have been the KM models. KM6, KM8, KM10
Concepcions Jacksons, etc. We think made for K Mart. Rawlings also made some gloves for Penneys and left its stamping on. I seem to remember an Elston Howard Penneys c mitt model.
softball66

Postby BretMan » November 29th, 2007, 7:14 pm

Funny how gloves will pop up...there is now another HG94 Rawlings on eBay, this one endorsed by Duke Snider. Despite the identical model number, this one is a completely different style glove. It looks about like the typical mid-priced MM5 pattern from the early 60's (single lace fingers).

The auction offers no clue to any special model number, retailer, etc...so we still have a mystery model!
BretMan

Postby V-Anchored » December 5th, 2007, 1:51 pm

I have an HG98 Eddie Mathews that I got on ebay several years ago. Unfortunately, it is not in the same shape as the recent one that sold. As was discussed in a previous thread, Herman Brothers Sporting Goods chain sold some Rawlings gloves in the 70's that had an "H" prefix and I always assumed that those gloves were made specifically for them. I bought an HFG-H from them in Chicago in 1978. My HG98 came from Chicago. I see the HG94 is located in the Pacific Northwest but I guess that doesn't mean it couldn't have been purcahed originally in the Midwest. Interesting discussion and I'd sure be interested in other opinions.
V-Anchored
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » December 5th, 2007, 2:30 pm

I remember that thread, and Herman's was one of the sporting goods companies starting with the letter "H" that I was trying to think of.

They had a presence in my area (Columbus, Ohio) and opened a few stores here in the 1980's. But they didn't seem to last too long. The few remaining stores in this market were converted to "Sportsmart" stores quite a few years ago. Then, the Sportsmart stores were all converted to "Sports Authority" stores in the last couple of years.

There is a Dick's and a Sports Authority store close to my house, but those seem to be the only large sporting goods chain retailers in this market.
BretMan

Postby MVALZ » December 5th, 2007, 5:31 pm

We had a couple Herman's here in Connectcut in the 80's. I actually worked in one during college stringing tennis rackets for $6 a pop...kept me in the Schlitz. Anyway, I've had several of the HFG Hs over the years and am impressed with their quality. Great leather, fastback and cool single post web. Mine have all been endorsed by Reggie...only flaw :wink:
MVALZ
Gold Glove Poster

Return to Vintage Glove of the Month