currently two D & M Babe Ruth gloves

Discuss interesting gloves listed on eBay or other auction houses.

currently two D & M Babe Ruth gloves

Postby jackwhale » November 16th, 2007, 1:42 am

There currently are 2 identical D&M G41 Babe Ruth gloves on ebay.
item # 120181665655 is currently bid to just over $2000. and
item # 220170077774 is currently bid to just under $1000.

I'm not exactly clear why one glove is currently going for twice the price
The photography for each is marginal but the first glove looks dry and has a minor tear. The markings are clear however.

The leather on the second glove looks great but one can't clearly see any markings because the photos are not in focus!

I guess the clarity of the markings could account for the difference but I'd like to hear what you think accounts for the difference in bidding.
jackwhale
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Jimmy R. » November 18th, 2007, 8:21 pm

The one with the reserve is clearly a nicer glove, but when it comes to why the D&M G41 is so valuable, you need not look further than the endorser. Ruth's signature stampings are as clear as can be on one and not at all visable on the other. Secondly, white gloves in general are more sought after, but when it comes to the G41, Ruth actually used one, a white one, so the glove that sold for $2800 (very cheaply, in my opinion) is much more desireable than the tan model (if it even is a G41).

When looking at baseballglovecollector.com's database of Ruth gloves, the G41 that just sold on eBay is by far the nicest one photographed. I'm assuming that there are a few nicer examples out there, but how many could there be in better condition? Two, three, perhaps four in nicer condition? There's no way that the market for presentable D&M G41 Ruths is saturated, so one can only conclude that funds are tight right now. I'm just stunned that it sold so inexpensively.
Jimmy R.
Rookie Glove Poster

My two cents

Postby Mike**Mize » November 18th, 2007, 11:19 pm

I just watched the second (so called) G41 end with 1 bid and no sale (unlesss the plan is a second chance offer to the single bidder). To me there was no comparison between the two. One clearly was a G41 and it sold for a very good price. I can't off hand think of any vintage store gloves that have gone for more on eBay. The other one was asking us to somehow see an endorsement and a model number where there was only this murky tan something. Clearly that doesn't get it done. As a glove it looked really nice, but not "$900 reserve not met" nice. If it's for real maybe the seller can go back for more photos and try to make them clearer. Otherwise it's got to be started way lower and left to determine its own value.
Mike**Mize
Gold Glove Poster

Postby jackwhale » November 20th, 2007, 6:13 pm

Thanks for your response.

Pictures say it all. or nothing at all in the case of the second glove.

In buying gloves off ebay I'm often surprised when I receive the glove--I'm sure we all have been. Pictures, description and an honest seller are important but the feel a glove is crucial. It seems a leap of faith to pay over two thousand based solely on pictures and description. Maybe the Babe Ruth G41 is rare enough to justify a purchase.
jackwhale
Veteran Glove Poster

Return to Vintage Glove of the Month