Glove of the week: Nov 5 – Nov 11 (Cobb)

Discuss interesting gloves listed on eBay or other auction houses.

Glove of the week: Nov 5 – Nov 11 (Cobb)

Postby burker72 » November 15th, 2007, 8:15 am

Plenty to choose from this past week. Thanks to Brett for the heads up on the Cobb and Ruth. I had looked at those auctions awhile back, not that I would have stayed in the running for the Cobb, but what a bargain that Ruth. I’d like to attend a Hunt Auction in PA at some point. Has anyone ever been to one?

A nice Stall & Dean Woody English split finger glove with the laced back earned $267 on 10 bids. English models were produced by S&D from roughly ’31-’37. The glove, according to the seller, is in good shape inside and out. To me the glove has a couple of great attributes. I like the finger reinforcements where the web ties to, which we often find on Hornsby models. S&D also seemed to make gloves with the big panel of leather on the backside of the glove - I have a buckle back with the similar design. There is something unique about this design. The other is the font of the stampings. Although it is faint, you can see how elaborate it once was.

This late 20s Goldsmith JG25 Glenn Wright Model glove brought in $241 on 10 bids. Not sure I’ve seen this endorsement in recent memory, so it could be a relatively rare one. I do wonder when I see pics of gloves with leather that appears a bit too shiny. I like a softer patina on my gloves. Nonetheless, a great looking design and Goldsmith gloves are always nice.

From glover Keith Knabe, something of a bargain I believe. This Bill Rogell endorsed Draper Maynard buckle back earned just $77 on 4 bids. The Rogell model was in production in ’36 and ’37 as far as I can tell. The sourcebook lists a G57 model, in this the case the seller has described a “G109 or G189 or maybe something elseâ€
burker72
Veteran Glove Poster

Ty Cobb

Postby ebbets55 » November 16th, 2007, 2:57 am

I think the difference in the Hunt Cobb and the nicer white one from May is the fact that the white one wasn't endorsed. It was just a W.B. Jarbis Ty Cobb Brand glove. It's a tough off-brand full web that went for a grand, which is pretty pricey for a full web. The Hunt Cobb, although the pictures were bad, is still an endorsed Cobb and we believe there are less than 10 known. I think $3,700ish is about right for that glove. The buyer did good and he said pics are coming soon.

JD
ebbets55
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » November 16th, 2007, 1:19 pm

Can't wait to see pics of the Cobb - I think it is going to clean up really nice. If I had that kind of money to spend on gloves, I would definitely have paid that much for the Cobb.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby oldballfan » November 16th, 2007, 1:21 pm

The wife and I used to attend the 2 Hunt Auctions yearly, before the 2 kids came along, when we had something called "MAD MONEY." They are staged in a nice hotel, and access is granted to all the items. A nice big mall is located nearby for the ladies to do their shopping while you attend the auction,along with several very good places to eat. It is a well run auction.
George Frazier, pitcher 1978 - 1987......
I don't put any foreign substances on the baseball. Everything I use is from the good old U.S.A.
oldballfan
Veteran Glove Poster

Cobb

Postby ebbets55 » November 16th, 2007, 1:47 pm

Was talking with the guys and we think the Cobb is an 0876 like the one in the Cobb Gallery. I bet it will clean up nicely. We were also wondering how many other great gloves are going to come out of the woodworks as the holiday season approaches coupled with year end financial responsibilities and the economy in general.

If anyone knows of any more of the tough gloves that are out there, please let me know. I would like to note it for catgaloguing purposes and maybe I can work on getting pictures for all of us to see.

Sorry for the typo up above. I meant Jarvis, not Jarbis (laptop at midnight type of thing). It's a beautiful glove that has come up before. I have old pictures on my computer of it but the file size is like 96x96 and it would have looked like a postage stamp on the site and it wouldn't have blown up.

JD
ebbets55
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby burker72 » November 18th, 2007, 9:51 am

Good thread guys...

Going back to the post by Ebbets55, I find it very fascinating that there is an estimate of there being less than 10 Cobb endorsed gloves. I guess it is an interesting contrast to so many other endorsers, Mantle for example, where there are just an untold number of gloves out there. The other thing that astonishes me is that so few gloves could exist. Likewise with the Ken Wel Gehrig gloves, you would just think there would be more of them out there. Then there is the possibility that one shows up out of the blue, found in a trunk somewhere. Those are my favorite stories.

I would agree that it looks like an 0876 model. Not because I've seen one, but based on comparing with ebbets55 site - what a reference, thank you for all of the hard work.

Finally, I too am familiar with the concept of Mad Money. Gloves used to arrive weekly at this house, that is until two kids showed up. Nonetheless, I think a trip to a Hunt auction is in order next year.
burker72
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » November 18th, 2007, 12:40 pm

The next Hunt Auction is scheduled for the beginning of March in Pennsylvania. The next one would most likley be their summer All-Star auction, coinciding with the game at Yankee Stadium. So that auction most likely will be in the NYC vicinity. I'd like to make it to at least one of these just to see the items up close and personal.

I think it's great that Hunt's still auctions some gloves in their auctions. They used to be one of the best for auctioning off gloves. Wonder if the amount will ever pick up again.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Return to Vintage Glove of the Month