Glove of the week: Oct 22 – Oct 28 (Red, White Blue Mantle

Discuss interesting gloves listed on eBay or other auction houses.

Glove of the week: Oct 22 – Oct 28 (Red, White Blue Mantle

Postby burker72 » October 29th, 2007, 6:38 am

It wasn’t a great week for gloves on eBay, maybe everyone is distracted by the WS and next week will be a big week.

Up first is another great glove from forum member OrangeKrate. The glove was far from the highest priced of the week ($66), but it is a real classic 40s style Wilson 609 model. The glove features the seamless thumb, which I believe was designed to remedy the common problem of the stitching of the thumb separating from the pocket. I am a real sucker for big gloves from this period, they just seem to be what the hobby is all about. Like OrangeKrate says in his description, you hate to take a glove like this off, which is often why I have one on for the better part of whatever game I’m watching.

This Red, White and Blue Mickey Mantle GJ92 model earned $270 on 21 bids. This one has held up pretty well. We all know that these typically turn into red, white and green gloves, but this one is in great shape. I think that this along with the Clemente in Red, White and Blue would make great bookends in a collection of 60s/70s gloves. Maybe you could throw the Seaver in there as well. Too bad they are imports though, the gloves are really stiff and I suspect any effort at conditioning would distort the colors.

A really nice white Reach base mitt sold for $170 this week. This glove sold the week prior (I was the high bidder at $170) but failed to meet reserve. Back up on the block it earned the same amount – different winner though). Great patch and great color make this glove a nice catch for the buyer.

Here is a bit of a different take for you…I have never had a Mantle MMF model, but I like the look of the glove and would like to add one to my collection. A nice once sold this past week (although I don’t think it is glove of the week material). I’ve included this glove because I think this comparison will tell you the value of a good photo in eBay. The top pics are of a Mantle MMF that sold on Oct 21 for $193. The bottom pics are of an MMF that sold this past week for less than $100. So when selling your next glove, be sure to put a little effort into the pics, they seem to pay off.

burker72
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » October 29th, 2007, 9:55 am

Burker, before commenting on the gloves, I would like to say that I, for one, appreciate your efforts at maintaining the "Glove of the Week" feature. I might not always chime in with additional comments, but do check your posts each week and enjoy them.

Four of the five gloves you posted were actually on my eBay Watch List. Then again, at last count I had 76 auctions on my list! Doing a lot more watching than buying this lately. I do this to get a feel for what the market is doing, what gloves might be "hot" and what kinds of prices are being realized.

The RWB Mantle really jumped in the closing hours. It was at $80 before I went to bed last night. I suspected there would be some last minute bidding on that one. Besides being a Mantle, which usually commands a premium, this is one of the nicest I've seen in regards to condition and color retention. Deep, rich red, white and blue instead of the dirty faded pink, grey and green that most of these gloves have after thiry years of use and abuse.

There seemed to be an influx of MMF models in recent weeks. I can recall several others in the past month. Funny how some gloves seem to run in cycles- you won't see a particular model for months, then a half dozen will pop-up at the same time.

Another MMF in lesser-condition also ended last night, with some cracking of the palm liner and a slightly rough patch. That one went for $42 on three bids. I wonder if having all three of these end at the same time somewhat depressed the price of the others?

Of the two you posted, while being in about the same approximate condition, the one that sold for $78 did note in the description that it had a "small tear in the pocket". You couldn't really see any obvious tears in the photos. Maybe that accounted for the difference in price.

If you don't mind, I would like to post a couple other gloves that caught my from the past week. (Posts coming...)
Last edited by BretMan on October 29th, 2007, 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » October 29th, 2007, 10:05 am

This Bill Doak H-model is perhaps the nicest I've ever seen. It went for $621 on 12 bids! It came with a vintage Rawlings box, but the box was for a Playmaker model, not the Doak glove.

This seller, while not one of the usual "glove guys", seems to have stumbled across a treasure trove of vintage gloves. His auctions stated that this group of gloves came from a closed sporting goods store and they were in unused condition, many with the original boxes and packaging.

(I'm just going to give the link here, taking a shortcut from saving and posting the actual glove pictures.)

Doak H-Model

A quick eBay search should let you check out the many other gloves from this seller, some that recently ended and others that are still up for bid- they're worth a look. Sure wish that I could come across an unused batch of gloves like this!
Last edited by BretMan on October 29th, 2007, 11:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
BretMan

Postby BretMan » October 29th, 2007, 10:11 am

This one surprised me a bit. You see a fairly abundant supply of Jackie Robinson gloves from Caprico, but this is the first one I've seen from the glovemaker General.

Somebody must have wanted it badly. It went for $152- not bad for a small, rather cheaply-made, early 60's import glove!

Jackie Robinson General
BretMan

Postby BretMan » October 29th, 2007, 10:19 am

This is another one you don't see too often- a Rawlings XFCB that isn't the much more common XFCB-17 Brooks robinson or Tom Seaver endorsed versions. The unendorsed XFCB was Rawlings top-of-the-line glove beginning in 1970 and for most of that decade.

This well-used, but otherwise solid glove, went for $138.

Rawlings XFCB
BretMan

Postby BretMan » October 29th, 2007, 10:27 am

Put this one in the odd-ball catagory- an oversized novelty glove from Akadema. I'm surprised that some glove afficianado didn't snatch up this one. I was going to buy it- it went cheap- as it would make an interesting conversation piece. Too bad I was out of town when the auction ended and missed my chance at this unusual glove.

This glove is a whopping 23" pattern! You can buy these on the Akadema website for $150. They have a picture there of one being worm by Manny Ramirez. This one sold for just $16 and $12 shipping. Probably won't see another one of these on eBay for a long, long time!

Strange and cheap- and I missed out!

Akadema Oversized Glove
BretMan

Postby burker72 » October 29th, 2007, 9:39 pm

Bretman,

Thanks for the post, of course I don't mind you posting. That was the original intent of this thread when I suggested it to V-Brett. I like writing this thread each week but worry that my individual tastes become too readily apparent and result in a lack of variety - hence the abundance of Doaks, Vances, 40s Wilsons and 50 Rawlings. I wish this thread would be picked up on with regard to more recent gloves. I know that there were a handful of top notch HOHs this past week, but I really can't speak to them with any level of confidence and would benefit from someone doing so.

What a beauty that Doak. I missed that it was not a Doak box and should have included that one in the list, although I've tried to avoid including gloves sold with boxes. Interesting catch on the Robinson. It may be an import, but a non-Caprico Robinson model is worth mentioning.

So please, everyone should feel free to post their gloves of the week.
burker72
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby fuzzydogg22 » October 29th, 2007, 10:02 pm

fuzzydogg22
Gold Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » October 29th, 2007, 11:16 pm

Had that MMP on my list, but when posting this morning the auction was still active, with the bidding at only about $80.

Kind of figured it as a Glove of the Week candidate for next week! :wink:
BretMan

Return to Vintage Glove of the Month