Glove of the week: Oct 15 – Oct 21 (Ratch Peerless)

Discuss interesting gloves listed on eBay or other auction houses.

Glove of the week: Oct 15 – Oct 21 (Ratch Peerless)

Postby burker72 » October 22nd, 2007, 6:29 am

There were plenty of really good gloves this week, including a few with boxes. Maybe I'll have to reconsider including gloves with boxes, but for know I'll stick to the knitting...

First up is an early (1910s?) Ratch Peerless full web G100G model fielder’s glove - sorry it is not the Ratch Peerless Duckweb. This full web model looks to be in very good condition and sold for a very reasonable $297 on 10 bids.

This Reach Yogi Berra model sold for $195 by way of the BIN option on eBay. This glove appears as a high end glove in their 1956 catalog. However, their ’56 catcher’s gloves, even the high end gloves were about half the price of the prior year. My favorite characteristic of this glove is the endorsement and stampings, especially the Berra stamping. Based on some of the wording in the pocket, and the font style, this glove was made by Spalding - can anyone verify?

Rawlings produced the Adcock endorsed TN model from1963-66, BOog Powell would follow in ’67. This one sold for $158 on 12 bids. I’ve always been a big fan of the Big T Trap web, and I think it looks particularly good on base mitt.

An early splitfinger model from D&M with a 1&1/4 inch web. This is the G70 Black Napa Leather model, not their highest quality glove, but a good example from a popular manufacturer. This one sold for $156on 15 bids.

A Sonnett TGT6 model in mint condition went for just $125. A stunning glove, great look and design. Pics say it all here.

From Orangekrate, a 5BD Doak model. This 40s style Doak retains some silver and looks to be in knock-dead condition. As before, I insist that a glove of this quality selling for just $120 on 19 bids is a bargain. Of course, if I ever found a glove at a flea market, antique shop or thrift store, I might actually know what a bargain looks like.

burker72
Veteran Glove Poster

Return to Vintage Glove of the Month