My favorite old Glove!

Share your antique show, flea market, garage sale, dumpster dive finds in this section. Post pictures of your most recent additions.

My favorite old Glove!

Postby Cowboy7130 » September 20th, 2007, 6:11 pm

Guess which low-tech redneck on this forum got him a new-fangled digit-all camera?? :)

Yes, I still have my first glove.
Cowboy7130
Gold Glove Poster

my plans for this glove ...

Postby Cowboy7130 » September 20th, 2007, 6:32 pm

Now then, this is the glove that I found in the football equipment storage shed at the high school where I used to coach. It was buried in a fire-ant mound, and to make a long story short, when I tracked down the previous owner, the glove was given to me. I think this is my favorite old Rawlings; Dale Murphy was my favorite Atlanta Brave, the OR 520 fits my hand better than an RBG36, and I even like the way the old leather is faded to a cream color. I have cleaned and conditioned it, and I have played several softball games with it, in addition to wearing it while I pitched bp to my sons' Little League, Junior League, and high school teams over the past 5 years.

Now, the negatives: there is NO padding in the palm, and the laces are cracking and about shot.

So, since I have been impressed by those who rebuild gloves on this forum, since I have been intrigued by glove construction and materials, since I have already dismantled an old beater to see how a glove is put together, since I have successfully relaced a couple of gloves already for myself and my son, and since I want to "improve" the glove anyway, I am going to make a project of this glove.

My plans are to dismantle the glove from the palm area and insert a padding material between the palm lining and the palm pocket shell, and to replace the old laces with new, black laces. I like that contrasting lacing look. I may do a little creative, decorative lacing with the web ... who knows? :roll:

I have been reluctant to "tear into" this glove, because I like it so much, but I bought another one just like it on e-bay, plus, if I mess it up too badly, I have a good friend that custom-makes gloves and repairs old gloves. I can probably get him to fix the mistakes I make! I hope! :lol: :?

Since I have the camera, now, I will keep a photo journal of my progress, or lack thereof ... :wink: Wish me luck!
Yes, I still have my first glove.
Cowboy7130
Gold Glove Poster

Return to Today I Found... / Vintage Glove Pictures