RAWLINGS HFGH MODEL?

Share your antique show, flea market, garage sale, dumpster dive finds in this section. Post pictures of your most recent additions.

RAWLINGS HFGH MODEL?

Postby wareagle34 » August 20th, 2007, 3:58 pm

Just won a Rawlings HFGH Reggie Jackson pro model, USA glove on Ebay.
I haven't received the glove as of yet, but I was wondering if anyone knew much about this model? I've been looking for a decent USA Jackson model for awhile, and this glove looks like a well made glove, but I'm not familiar with the model#.

WAR EAGLE!
wareagle34
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby MVALZ » August 20th, 2007, 5:26 pm

I think you'll be very happy with the HFGH, its a great quality glove. I have a beautiful one and love it despite the Reggie endorsement :)
MVALZ
Gold Glove Poster

Postby wareagle34 » August 20th, 2007, 5:59 pm

I know what you mean about Reg, he's not one of my favorites either, but I'm an A's fan, and I got to have him. I'm anxious to get the glove, because it does look like it might be a high end type. Any idea what the HFGH signifies? Thanks.

WAR EAGLE!
wareagle34
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby MVALZ » August 20th, 2007, 8:17 pm

Mine's a single post web, but have heard them reffered to as H webs. The Fastback opening accounts for the F. Maybe someone can fill in the blanks, but I'm not sure every letter has to mean anything...?
MVALZ
Gold Glove Poster

Postby wareagle34 » August 21st, 2007, 7:41 am

This glove appears to be a H web also. The pictures weren't that great but the seller said there were no problems with the glove, and the stampings are clean. For twenty bucks plus shipping I think I might have done ok. I'll let you know when it comes in.

WAR EAGLE!
wareagle34
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby V-Anchored » August 24th, 2007, 9:14 pm

I have an HFGH that I bought new in 1978. I got it at Herman Bros. Sporting Goods in Chicago for around $50 or $60. Herman's was a pretty big chain back then and I always wondered if this model was specifically made for them and maybe one of the H's in the model number stood for Herman Bros. The same way that Rawlings made gloves for K-Mart and designated them with a KM in the model number, such as the KM10 MIke Schmidt and Brooks Robinson gloves.
V-Anchored
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » August 24th, 2007, 10:17 pm

That is a good, possible explanation of the "extra H" in the HFGH model number. It wouldn't be the first example of Rawlings labeling a glove made for a specific retail chain with a special model number.

I had always guessed that the KM series of gloves were produced for K-Mart, since none of them appear in the catalogs, but didn't know for sure. Thanks for confirming my guess!

Another example is the KM6 model, endorsed by Davey Concepcion. That one is in my "Big Red Machine" collection, along with a Rose, Morgan, Bench, Perez and Foster. Still trying to find a nice Don Gullet, Bobby Tolan and a Ken Griffey senior!

Somewhere buried in one of the huge plastic tubs I use for storage, I have a 70's era Rawlings glove with a cloth label from (if I'm remembering correctly) a "Heck's Drugstore" chain. I'll have to dig that one out!

One more "special model number" Rawlings I have is a CHAXLB 14" softball glove. It is identical to the better-known RSGXLB (Rawlings Softball Glove, Extra Large, Black) with the "Sup-R-Size" logo in the palm.

I contacted Rawlings back a few years ago to I.D. that one. The "CHA" in the model number indicated that the glove was produced for sale through the "Champs" sporting goods chain.
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Return to Today I Found... / Vintage Glove Pictures