Rawlings Thermometer

Share your antique show, flea market, garage sale, dumpster dive finds in this section. Post pictures of your most recent additions.

Rawlings Thermometer

Postby vintagebrett » July 23rd, 2007, 9:52 am

On Saturday my wife and I drove over to Cooperstown - she had never been and it's been 8 years since I was there. I managed to take a picture of every single glove in the Hall of Fame - not sure the wife was too happy about this. Enjoyed walking around the town and spending time in the National Pastime - if you've never been to Cooperstown, the National Pastime has tons and tons of gloves, etc. for sale - the prices are high but it's fun to go in there and see what's for sale. On the way home we stopped at a couple antique stores and I was lucky to pick up this Rawlings thermometer - it's got a little rust issue on the bottom but it's cool and I've never seen one before. I have a Rawlings sign from the 60's that gloves hang on - guess these two items will look together. Would be happy to trade them for Sonnett signs though!! :lol:

vintagebrett
Site Admin

hall of fame

Postby Bravosin99 » July 23rd, 2007, 2:36 pm

Brett-

Is there a lot of older gloves in the hall of fame??....I am dying to go there just can't ever find the time or cash to go at this point...
Bravosin99
Gold Glove Poster

Ah Cooperstown

Postby SoCalTigerGuy » July 23rd, 2007, 2:56 pm

My wife and I made a trip there in '02, and we fell in love with the city immediately. The museum is top notch (as is the Farmer's Museum), the stores were great, the games at the stadium were entertaining, and the area was just enchanting.

I want to go back.

The glove section of the museum was a highlight for me, and left me wanting to add to my collection more than ever.
SoCalTigerGuy
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » July 23rd, 2007, 8:41 pm

There are a lot of gloves in the Hall of Fame from all eras - I think they do a pretty good job of having a representation from different times. When you start really looking at the gloves there are some interesting things you notice - like the fact that Musial is misspelled on his glove from 1944:

If you want to see a lot of older gloves Josh, go into the National Pastime - they have tons. And everything is for sale!
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby mittmutt » July 23rd, 2007, 10:03 pm

I've never been fortunate enough to visit the hall of fame but a couple of years ago I was in D.C. and they had a traveling exhibition at the smithsonian. It was so awesome, I just couldn't leave. Those types of experiances really do fuel the fire for the glove collecting. It was amazing to feel the reverence for the old game that I felt while I was there.
mittmutt
Veteran Glove Poster

mispelling

Postby jackwhale » July 24th, 2007, 12:55 am

The little note under the glove indicates that Stan actually used the glove with his name misspelled. At least Rawlings spelled 'Stan' correctly--Batting .500.
jackwhale
Veteran Glove Poster

Web Site

Postby SoCalTigerGuy » July 24th, 2007, 11:31 am

I don't know if anyone has posted it, but here is the web site address for National Pastime.

http://baseballantiques.com/
SoCalTigerGuy
Rookie Glove Poster

Return to Today I Found... / Vintage Glove Pictures