Brimfield Day 1

Share your antique show, flea market, garage sale, dumpster dive finds in this section. Post pictures of your most recent additions.

Brimfield Day 1

Postby vintagebrett » July 10th, 2007, 7:30 pm

This should be posted in the "Today I found nothing" folder but I haven't created that yet.

Yes, nothing to be had, looked at or felt at Brimfield. Our selling debut was a stinker too - sold 5 gloves, all from my bargain bins. Sold zero bats as well. Did sell a lot of uniforms and pennants. Oh well, people don't know what they are missing. :)

I'll have pictures of our setup soon.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Strike 1

Postby glove-works » July 10th, 2007, 7:46 pm

Sorry to hear of your less than successful day of glove/bat discovery. I am happy I didn't make the drive this am. I heard Mark picked up a Ken-Wel zipperback, and D&M Ruth very early this am.
Glove-Works
Home of "the Works"
Glove Repair/Restoration & Sales
www.glove-works.com
glove-works
Gold Glove Poster

Postby MVALZ » July 10th, 2007, 10:00 pm

In my dreams Mike :cry:

Brett's display was a lot of fun to check out...booth may have been in too snobby a section?

I did pick up a scary nice D&M DG28 though. Beautiful golden leather with black piping and welting, silver button, strong stampings.
MVALZ
Gold Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » July 11th, 2007, 5:13 am

Did I mention it was hot - way too hot to be outside for hours and hours.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby vintagebrett » July 11th, 2007, 8:33 am

Day 2 was a bust as well.

Couple thoughts on setting up.

-We had tons of compliments on our booth - it got to the point where my brother suggested we put a sign up that says "All Compliments Require a $50 minimum purchase."

-Everyone is afraid to pick gloves up and put them on their hands! I couldn't believe this but people would look at them with their hands behind their back and not touch them.

-Mark was the only other glove collector there besides us.

-We had a nice, long chat with longtime dealers Mike and Terry Carouthers - two of the nicest people in the business. They said the collectors don't come out the shows anymore and the dealers don't want to buy nice stuff at fair prices - they want great stuff at ridiculously low prices. They suggested we would do well if we set up at the Ft. Washington show outside of Phildelphia - does anyone have any experience with that show?

-Overall, I had fun doing the show - I might do the May show next year to see if it's a little better because there was no one there yesterday - tooooo hot!!
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby vintagebrett » July 11th, 2007, 1:16 pm

Here was our booth :
vintagebrett
Site Admin

1" webs

Postby Bravosin99 » July 11th, 2007, 1:29 pm

Brett how much you selling those 1" webs for?? Is the darker one of the left the Reach one you just recently found?? Just let me know...Thanks- Josh
Bravosin99
Gold Glove Poster

displays

Postby Bravosin99 » July 11th, 2007, 1:39 pm

Oh and the most important thing I was going to say I forgot to say haha...That is a really neat set up!! Hope you guys did ok with business..I wish we had people who had that much nice stuff set up at the shows we go to...Ok well just let me know about that dark 1" web :lol:
Bravosin99
Gold Glove Poster

Postby oldballfan » July 12th, 2007, 10:36 am

The Fort Washington show has been moved to Reading, Pa. The hotel in the Fort Washington area is being torn down to make another parking lot.....progress is great. Here is the website to the show coming up
http://www.phillyshow.org/nextshow.htm I have not been to the show since it moved 15 mins from the house, I always traveled the hour plus to get there. It used to be a great show, and I have heard it is still pretty good. James Spence is going to be there, Hunt Auctions is usually there as well. Let me know if you decide to go, I can let you know where some good eats are located. Here is the link to the expo center itself
http://www.greaterreadingexpocenter.com/
George Frazier, pitcher 1978 - 1987......
I don't put any foreign substances on the baseball. Everything I use is from the good old U.S.A.
oldballfan
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » July 12th, 2007, 12:57 pm

Hi
Thanks for the information - I appreciate it. I think I will probably go down to the show to check it out, even if I don't set up.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby BretMan » July 12th, 2007, 2:53 pm

Thanks for the pics, Brett.

I hit as many antique shows, malls and flea markets as I can and have only seen one other booth that even comes close to what you have on display, with a like number of gloves and bats but nowhere near the same quality of items.

I've seen maybe a half-dozen displays that included a handful of gloves, and a few more than that with an odd glove or two of any note.

And, of course, you can always find plenty of cheap, common, vinyl-trimmed, modern-day, imported gloves that have little or no collector interest.
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Return to Today I Found... / Vintage Glove Pictures