Wilson A2222 "The Ball Hawk 4"

Share your antique show, flea market, garage sale, dumpster dive finds in this section. Post pictures of your most recent additions.

Wilson A2222 "The Ball Hawk 4"

Postby Noffin13 » July 6th, 2007, 2:20 pm

Found a Wilson left handed thrower model number A2222 at an antique shop today. On the pinky finger it reads "The Ball Hawk 4," and "Professional" is above the model number. It is a 4 finger glove with good, thick leather and lots of padding in the fingers. I couldn't find a thing about this glove online so I was wondering if anyone had any more information on it. Thanks!!
Noffin13
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » July 6th, 2007, 11:07 pm

The Wilson Ballhawk 4 models show up in their catalogs from 1950 through 1952. These were three-finger gloves (plus a thumb, hence the "4" designation).

I see an A2220 model listed, but nothing for an A2222. Perhaps this model number was slightly different to signify a left-handed glove.

Various models were sold in different sizes and with different levels of quality materials. It looks like these were usually mid-priced gloves, selling for about $10. In contratst, the Wilson line-up of fielders gloves listed anywhere from $2.95 up to $26.50 during those years.

These gloves were produced in great numbers and are found fairly easily today, so they are not super-rare or terribly valuable. But they are still cool old gloves and represent a unique era of glove design. The three-finger gloves were big in the 1950;s and most glove companies produced their own versions, most notably the Rawlings "Playmaker" series of gloves.

By the time the 60's rolled around, the three-finger gloves had fallen by the wayside, replaced with the next big marketing fad. Other companies have resurrected the three-finger design from time-to-time, even as recently as a couple of years ago with the Rawlings "Vice" series of gloves.
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby Noffin13 » July 7th, 2007, 10:45 am

Thanks for the great information. Are there any reference books or information sources you would suggest for the beginning collector?
Noffin13
Rookie Glove Poster

Dude!

Postby Cowboy7130 » July 7th, 2007, 5:34 pm

You are SO in the right place! Take a look at the thread I started in General Glove Discussion, called "I want a History Lesson!" These guys have come up with a ton of good information on this great hobby!
Yes, I still have my first glove.
Cowboy7130
Gold Glove Poster

Return to Today I Found... / Vintage Glove Pictures