New guy, with the bug, nice estate find

Share your antique show, flea market, garage sale, dumpster dive finds in this section. Post pictures of your most recent additions.

New guy, with the bug, nice estate find

Postby Vintagemuckraker » February 13th, 2018, 2:34 pm

I started on this site a while back, mainly as a lurker, but I've now built a nice little collection of entry-level gloves. (Which is a bit ironic, considering I play in a bare-handed 1864 league!)

Found this one a few days ago at a local estate sale. It needed cleaning, but was in fabulous shape, structurally. The Rawlings logo is perfectly intact, as is the inside palm (I forgot to take photos of that this morning, I'll update later).

My primary questions are value. Since it's a store youth model (MM 5), I'm assuming it's not too much. But it is a Mickey Mantle model, and it's in better shape than most if not all I see on Ebay (where they're overpriced and Buy It Now). What do you think?

Also, there's a mild mildew smell. Any thoughts on how to remedy that?
Attachments
Mickey.jpg
Vintagemuckraker
Rookie Glove Poster

Re: New guy, with the bug, nice estate find

Postby mikesglove » February 13th, 2018, 3:30 pm

I had a glove with a smoke smell and put it in a sealed bag in the freezer for a day. Seemed to work OK and didn't damage the glove once warmed up to room temp. Another one I undid the heel lacing to expose the padding and set it outside in a protected spot for a few weeks. Also seemed to work OK.
mikesglove
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Return to Today I Found... / Vintage Glove Pictures