Ripon Ambidextrous On eBay for $20 (BIN)

Share your antique show, flea market, garage sale, dumpster dive finds in this section. Post pictures of your most recent additions.

Ripon Ambidextrous On eBay for $20 (BIN)

Postby HolyGrail » August 8th, 2016, 6:46 pm

As I wrote in my Forbes post, it was pure luck. Has anyone else made a big glove score? The all-time great was Mantle XPGH for $50.

My post on Forbes.

http://bit.ly/2aQ7hwD
Attachments
ripon front resized.jpg
HolyGrail
Rookie Glove Poster

Re: Ripon Ambidextrous On eBay for $20 (BIN)

Postby briggs86 » August 9th, 2016, 12:40 pm

So this one time... this powerseller on ebay with over 6500+ feedback listed a mitt pairing for $35 start bid... and i asked if a buy it now would suffice, agreed upon price of $200... bought the mitt pairing and paid immediately; then everyone and their brother messaged her on what a steal it was... I'M SURE YOU ALL REMEMBER THIS FINGERLESS DEBACLE! $20 to $500-$1000 is a 2500%-5000% profit, yet no complaints on the forum... Yet $200 to $5000-$8000 - 2500%-4000% profit and everyone in the world complains... WEIRD! Just stating facts...
briggs86
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby murphusa » August 9th, 2016, 9:00 pm

More readers than act ice members these days
Hell Bent for Leather
murphusa
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby HolyGrail » August 10th, 2016, 10:23 am

I've been on the short end as a seller, too. A friend selling for me listed an unused Converse USA sneaker MIB for $20 BIN instead of starting auction. The buyer said "tough luck."

This is a bit of a murky ethical area. When you're at a chard show or flea market do you tell a dealer that they're underpricing an item and you're willing to pay bust-out retail?

The guy who bought the XPGH in 2008 got a fair amount of grief.

In the final analysis, these deals are very few and far between because sellers usually rely on a straight auction.
HolyGrail
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby briggs86 » August 10th, 2016, 11:53 am

In August 2013 I resigned from posting on this forum due to the amount of grief and bs I received for doing something an overwhelming majority considered unethical... However as you stated in your Forbes article the seller of the Ripon was happy with the $20 as she had nothing into it... Well the exact same situation with the Fingerless in 2013 regardless if it was an auction and asked to flip to a buy it now... The seller started a bid at $35, meaning she would have probably been more than satisfied with the start bid as it was profit. It wouldn't have mattered if I offered $1000; there still would have been a large and vast majority jealous of the fact that a $5000-$8000 mitt sold for $1000; not to mention those that were protecting their original investments that owned fingerless gloves and had paid $7000+ for theirs. There will always be a person asking if they'll accept a buy it now when auctions run and there's always going to be a group of sellers willing to accept it as they may have nothing into the item and want the cash flow instead of waiting for auction to end. With that being said, if a person goes ahead and has a buy it now for $20 on a rare mitt; how many are willing to go above and beyond to inform the seller they made a mistake. Because realistically I don't think the seller would truthfully like to know her twenty dollar bill sale less ebay and paypal 13% was really worth a min of $500. Do we feel sorry for her? I for one will never spend $7000 on a mitt, nor would I spend $1000 on a mitt as it's not realistic within my budget not to mention my fiance would kill me. With that being said this business has and will forever leave the nastiest taste in my mouth. 90% of you if at a flea market and you saw a fingerless for $200 you'd negotiate down to $150 and leave with a #@$% eating grin on your face and wouldn't be honest and say maam/sir this is actually worth $7500 let me give you $4000. TRUTH HURTS!
briggs86
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby theglovester » August 10th, 2016, 6:41 pm

seeing this glove reminds me of the reason cattle have Hooves.....They Lactose :roll:
theglovester
Gold Glove Poster

Postby HolyGrail » October 17th, 2016, 2:51 pm

Briggs86 makes a compelling case that has been weighing heavily on me.

I've been looking for an opportunity through BIN to alert a seller, but haven't found one.

If collectors on the forum can give me examples, I'll share them in a Forbes post.

David
HolyGrail
Rookie Glove Poster

Return to Today I Found... / Vintage Glove Pictures