Mystery Reach W&D

Share your antique show, flea market, garage sale, dumpster dive finds in this section. Post pictures of your most recent additions.

Mystery Reach W&D

Postby GloveCrazy » June 4th, 2015, 2:36 pm

Picked up this Reach W&D laced 2-finger because it was unique to my 2-finger collection in a number of ways. Assumed it was made in the 50s, but there are a couple interesting features that counter what my eyes are telling me. According to the Catalog Source Book the combined Reach Wright & Ditson was in the late 20s, and it is endorsed by "Lefty" Johns who I assume is Augie "Lefty" Johns who only played for the Tigers from 1926-27. The diamond notched web is interesting and the "Genuine Horsehide" stamping and symbols button look like it was manufactured by Nokona. The size of the glove and thin lace seem small for 50s. What are your thoughts?

photo 1 - Copy (4).JPG
photo 1 - Copy (4).JPG (55.61 KiB) Viewed 9888 times

photo 2 - Copy (3).JPG
photo 2 - Copy (3).JPG (52.76 KiB) Viewed 9888 times
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Re: Mystery Reach W&D

Postby ebbets55 » June 4th, 2015, 6:43 pm

Hey Man,

I once had a Lefty Perez Reach, Wright & Ditson basemitt that was obviously made by Nokona in the 1950's. I can't explain your endorsement but you can't put it past Nokona to use crazy endorsements. Remember, Billy Martin wasn't "The" Billy Martin and neither was Joe Jackson. Got that from Joe's two great Nokona books. That's a super cool glove you just got. Love those Nokona two fingers.

I believe Walter Cazen was another RWD Nokona name that came up. Who the hell were these guys?

JD
Attachments
Lefty Perez RWD 2507 Front.JPG
RWD Nokona Lefty Perez Basemitt
ebbets55

Postby GloveCrazy » June 10th, 2015, 2:50 pm

Thanks Jim, and agree that the whole thing is kinda strange, and that these endorsers were relative nobodies ... and two were named Lefty. Anyone else want to chime in? Mike Tinney and Joe Phillips can you think of anything?
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby mikesglove » June 10th, 2015, 8:28 pm

mikesglove

Return to Today I Found... / Vintage Glove Pictures