Gettysburg report!! North won Again, Dang it

Share your antique show, flea market, garage sale, dumpster dive finds in this section. Post pictures of your most recent additions.

Gettysburg report!! North won Again, Dang it

Postby theglovester » July 8th, 2013, 9:17 am

Returned from Gettysburg and had a great time!! Our Company 59th TN CSA was one of the few to breech the Wall at Picketts Charge!! only 2-300 reenactors out of 5000 got the honor!! I got 9 Yanks before they got me... Seriously though, very humbling experience, this was just a tenth scale of the actual battle and I cannot fanthom the actual battle.

Jim and Rob, Californians were in the Grey!! A unit from Cal. brought 4 cannons across country, WOW! great guys with a legit Rebel Yell, all I could find out in passing was that they were from Northern Cal.

Joe, We were camped in the middle of two Texas Companies, 15th and 19th, Super nice people and their ladies could cook!

How does this apply to our little niche of the glove hobby?? Well... I cannot afford an actual fingerless glove or lemon peel ball, Soooo. I made mine. Don't worry purist, I have dies and stamped them "Repo" and "July 4, 2013" as they look pretty darn convincing to a novice.

The ball came from the pocket of an old mitt and recovered a $2 baseball after removing the cover. I had no clue on the dimensions for the ball pattern, but figured if they could make one in 1860 with a compass, straight edge and ruler only, I could also. Had to brush up on geometry skills but no prob. (lobes of pattern had to add up to 9 in. in the middle and in total length to work)

the glove is a super cool 2 finger welders glove that I removed the cuff, added rolled piping, cut out the wrist strap and added repo CSA cuff button.. wha-la.. maybe this winter I will tear it apart and add leather lining and a crescent pad from a 50's softball mitt and possibly a buckle back. Didn't have time to embellish much but will use wood burner to add "CSA Richmond VA" "Confederate Preferred" and of course make it an endorsed "Stonewall Jackson" model!! What about a bat?? You guessed it, there is an actual wagon tongue that was used on the farm here in East Tennessee, Drawing knife and will have a nice example of 1860's baseball equipment that can be used with no worries. These were all made on the cheap!! only $5-10 invested!!

Yours in Gloves.. Drokester

P.S. KB ford critz glove for $49 is a stunner, still cleaning and polishing will post pics soon. I can read Horace along with Ford & Hugh Critz!! beyond expectations!!

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
theglovester
Gold Glove Poster

Re: Gettysburg report!! North won Again, Dang it

Postby deebro041 » July 8th, 2013, 1:45 pm

Wow, nice work Don! That ball could surely pass as a legit lemon peel without x-rays, like the ones being sold on ebay these days. Great work on the glove as well!
Dan
deebro041

Re: Gettysburg report!! North won Again, Dang it

Postby theglovester » July 8th, 2013, 3:12 pm

Thanks Dan, Yeah, kinda wanted to make sure I wasn't trying to HooDoo the hobby, but wanted something totally cool and like me kinda one of a kinda. Although I googled myself and there is another Don Droke in Florida... OH yeah I got a hold of him, Hilarious conversation...

Now if anyone thinks a lemon peel ball stamped "CSA League Jefferson Davis Pres." is Legit I have some ocean front property in East Tennessee ready for him. Or if a Stonewall Jackson Model Fielders mitt is the real deal... I guess I would have to tell them it's "Priceless" and slowly shake my head.... Later guys

Hey, may make a few Lemon peels for you guys, Look a lot better than new ones and a heck of a bunch cheaper, "CSA League" ONLY!!!!
theglovester
Gold Glove Poster

Return to Today I Found... / Vintage Glove Pictures