How to make a rolled web ala RR East TN style

Share your antique show, flea market, garage sale, dumpster dive finds in this section. Post pictures of your most recent additions.

How to make a rolled web ala RR East TN style

Postby theglovester » June 21st, 2013, 2:16 am

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageHey guys, hope this finds you all well, Before I get started get online and vote for our fellow Yankee Glove collector for the all star game!!! If you win I will forward $15 to Jim to buy you guys a cold Brewskie at the game.

I placed a bid on the 4 lot set that had the crescent fielders in it but lost out at $125, oh well, will forget that I lost in a month or so. Did win an early JC higgins for cheap, early double verticle tunnels, 167? to worn to tell anything and then a 40's splitfinger for $24. Turned out to be an OK Joe Dimaggio JD-G model. Cool and after cleaning I put a rolled web in it like was in the RR Rolfe that was on ebay a while back. I used to do these back in the day and this one turned out the best that I have ever attempted. William, I used the splitter I sent you and shaved the laces down to a sixteenth of an inch thick for the rolled part of the web, it worked great, got it thinned down in 5 minutes. If not shaved down the web would be over a half inch in diameter and look goofy. The rolled web has a backbone that the rolled part is wrapped around and tied at the base as in the pic of the RR. I tried to match the number of wraps as pictured and it came out correct for a 4 foot lace. Thats right there is FOUR foot of lace just in the wrapped part and NONE left over, unbelievable.. Hope you enjoy the pics. The picture of the glove with the egg is a way of showing how soft the glove is, wish people would do that on their ebay pics.

Yeah, worked on the glove in the living room, on the coffee table, with glove stuff spread everywhere... Yeah, got it cleaned up before my wife "Pretty Sharon" came home. BUT... was rolling a web in the living room!!!

The glove stand is hand made and very unique, Jim Daniel has one similiar that I made for him and they come with a "Certificate of Pretty Sure Assurance" kinda a play on the cat daddy that was putting facsimilie autos on gloves a while back. But these are just for fun and I'm pretty sure that what happened around the tree that this stand was made from did happen when it was growing.... I aint saying for certain, but Jim got a kick out of it.. Gotta have fun with this glovin. hope this finds you all well
theglovester
Gold Glove Poster

Re: How to make a rolled web ala RR East TN style

Postby mikesglove » June 21st, 2013, 3:03 am

The rolled lace looks really good and seems pretty intricate. Looks like there is a certain order of doing things for it to come out right. I am interested in the splitter you mentioned. Was it the Tandy one? I am always having trouble with laces being too thick for vintage gloves.
mikesglove
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Re: How to make a rolled web ala RR East TN style

Postby theglovester » June 21st, 2013, 3:10 am

Hey mike, nope, not from tandy, just Southern Farm Boy Ingenuity... It cost about $2 to make, carpet knife razor blade, PVC pipe, and two bolts. But it will CUT YOU as fast as a sucking calf wags it's tail. will post a pic today. cheaper and forever sharp as long as you got carpet knife blades. A leather splitter runs over 2-300 bucks. Don't think so. Got to be a better cheaper way. Now if the Government would think that way........Post pic later.. SLEEPY
theglovester
Gold Glove Poster

Return to Today I Found... / Vintage Glove Pictures