The glovester Fainted!!!

Share your antique show, flea market, garage sale, dumpster dive finds in this section. Post pictures of your most recent additions.

The glovester Fainted!!!

Postby theglovester » March 22nd, 2013, 1:59 am

Hey guys, as you all know I have been posting a lot, just excited to be back. in the last month I have added to my neglected collection a Crescent catchers spalding, thanks JD!! Sweet!! A G105 Spider mays, Awesome! a Spalding SticK on hand, Classy! a goldsmith XM eh OK... And lost out on a stahl dean tree web, CLUNKER.. The last two gloves I won on ebay were a Goldsmith RL Red Lucas, Love it, so soft you can pick a golf ball up with the thumb and middle finger, and top line stuff for a mere $40!!! the other came tuesday, The glove was listed as a ROACH model... HMMMM.. had to look at it. Patch seemed to be there, rolled piping, But the wrist strap seemed to be frozen in time. in the same shape every picture.. not a good sign. I opened the box thinking I'm only out $53 so what the heck. The glove was laying pocket down in the box, Patch present (GOOD) wrist strap flexible (Really good) slid hand in soft no holes (Great) turned it over, busted seam on index not bad and knew it was there and only flaw (OK) I spit on the Pinky/heel and rubbed with my thumb, There is a "B" another spit and a capilal "R" in cursive... no way.... A hush fell over the farm, the cows laid down, My dog looked up and the birds quit singing.... yes Gentleman, a BABE RUTH REACH for $53!!! I have heard of this happening but to a farmer in east Tennessee??? no WAY!!!

I think back to all the XFCB17's I have relaced and given away, and other older USA gloves that have little market value, to kids that needed a new glove and didn't know what a good glove felt like, for nothing, the gloves I relaced while teaching chemistry, a student comes in and says it broke in practice yesterday and we play today, can you fix it?? I always had a needle and lace in my desk, "You'll have it by the time schools out" All for no cost.. it was fun for me, and you would have thought I had performed open heart surgery.. To the collector that hooked the father up with the Red Schoenidist (SIC) glove his son had... I would have done the same if I had one to give..Thats what makes this hobby so great, guys like you all that put up with my run on and on and on....and do what you know is right expecting nothing in return, well guys I hope you all open a box or stumble on a great find wherever it is, I hope the people on here have greater luck than I recently did.

Share a story with you, (you knew it was coming) I played little league with my dad's spalding Warren Hacker and all the kids had 70's thin finger gloves and I had a fat fingered glove my first two years, then a wilson Dave cash model, IF it ain't A2000 material it should be, I relaced it and was used foerever and never wore out. I still have the hacker and 10-12 years ago I couldn't think of anything to get my dad for fathers day... Looking on ebay there was the same glove 1007 hacker. I got it cleaned it relaced it oiled it up, it was near new... I couldn't stand it and gave it to him 3 weeks before fathers day. I hollered "hey old man" Happy Father's day early!! and I threw it at him, He was a centerfielder in college and I knew he would catch it.. He nabbed it out of mid air and slid it on, He looked at it and then me and then the glove and said "Is this my old glove?" Nah I used it last so it's mine, got you one just like it.. My stepmom didn't understand.. but me and dad did.. I only spent around $40 on the glove and dad goes that day, entirely not like him, to Michaels and has a wooden display case made for the glove THAT DAY... It sat in their dining room on the buffet in a place of honor for him.. I miss him, he passed 4 years ago, the cased glove is beside the computer right now, the other family gloves and uniforms, My grandfathers, dads, and mine and my boy's are all together. Come to think of it I think Ol Warren Hacker just struck out "THE BABE".
theglovester
Gold Glove Poster

Re: The glovester Fainted!!!

Postby ebbets55 » March 22nd, 2013, 11:09 am

I love this stuff! Double Dee, I'm so glad you are back around.

JD
ebbets55
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby ScottWNJ » March 22nd, 2013, 11:09 pm

As the guys in my car club forum say when someone unearths a "barn find"...pics, or it ain't real.
Scott W NJ
ScottWNJ
Gold Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » March 23rd, 2013, 6:35 am

Nice find. I bid on that glove thinking it was a high quality Reach glove with possible Ruth endorsement. Glad it worked out for you!
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby theglovester » March 24th, 2013, 9:18 pm

Working on getn pics up and yeah... Talks cheap... Pics will be coming and I'll fill it up just wait guys, I seriously have some good stuff. anybody got a DD Dean, Reach rawlings etc????
theglovester
Gold Glove Poster

Return to Today I Found... / Vintage Glove Pictures