Rawlings Wilson cross?? XPG/A2??

Share your antique show, flea market, garage sale, dumpster dive finds in this section. Post pictures of your most recent additions.

Rawlings Wilson cross?? XPG/A2??

Postby theglovester » March 15th, 2013, 5:02 pm

Hey guys, got some nice stuff lately, (Red Lucas goldsmith, n an early reach) and happy to be back, wanted that reach WOO? model with the torn thumb seam n mint patch but had to count $$ oh well, if anyone on here gets it, I can fix it no prob. Flipping through ebay I found an odd looking Rawlings ebay# 330890385180. Anyone seen this hybrid before? XPG model fer shure, but has the hindge web A2 web and lacing on top of web is A2 style and the wrist is A2 wrist lock, Web even has Rawlings stamped were "Dual Hindge Web" should be, never seen a Rawlings like that?? Anyone have a clue what this is??

Slobbering over my new arrival G105 mays spider web and I saw the reverse strap spider web on ebay without a web, (lefty) and I would get it if righty and make it into a rolled web spider web, that's a mouth full, have fun guys, later
theglovester
Gold Glove Poster

Re: Rawlings Wilson cross?? XPG/A2??

Postby BretMan » March 15th, 2013, 7:16 pm

I just happen to have one of these sitting on my computer desk within arm's reach. Found it at a flea market last year for $15. The only difference is that mine's an XPG-RC, not RF. I assume the last letter may refer to the back. The RF is a fastback, while the RC is a conventional back.

It really is identical to an A2000, right down to the criss-crossing bridge at the top of the web, to the "Wilson style" finger lacing that doubles back through the fingers.

I've seen a few before but, no, I'm not sure what the story is on these. I can only guess than Rawlings must have seen how popular the A2000's were and decided to produce an exact duplicate.
Click to Visit >> The Glove Shop On-Line
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby softball66 » March 15th, 2013, 10:30 pm

I think your gloves were the same as one I picked up, bootleg, fake gloves from a plant in South Korea that was closed down and various stamping, dies, etc. were left behind with some skilled labor chaps.
My catchers mitt said, "A2000" (should have said A2400) and had "Finest in the Field" stamped in the palms. I think both Rawlings and Wilson probably shared the gloves produced from the plant, then pulled
out of Korea. :evil:
softball66

Postby BretMan » March 18th, 2013, 3:42 pm

I've seen some of those "counterfeit" gloves before. My impression is that this isn't one of those. The fakes I've seen were pretty cheap looking gloves. Mine is actually a good quality glove with all leather trim. I'd compare it favorably with a genuine A2000.

I don't recall any of the fake gloves being identified as "made in the USA". Mine says it in the stampings and on the Rawlings patch. Don't the Korean fakes usually have "Korea" marked on them and have stamping from both Wilson and Rawlings on the same glove?

Mine also has a Rawlings date code (HEB09).
BretMan

Postby softball66 » March 19th, 2013, 7:49 am

Brett, you're probably right about Rawlings making the glove (dating code) 1986 maybe? What's the web look like? Can you post an image? :?:
softball66

Postby BretMan » March 22nd, 2013, 11:37 pm

Just about a perfect replica of an A2000.

BretMan

Return to Today I Found... / Vintage Glove Pictures