I'm back in the hunt

Share your antique show, flea market, garage sale, dumpster dive finds in this section. Post pictures of your most recent additions.

I'm back in the hunt

Postby ScottWNJ » February 19th, 2013, 11:03 am

After my car accident last June (worse for the car than it was for me), home renovations that required me to dismantle my glove display, Hurricane Sandy (no real damage), the Christmas holidays, and a trip to Florida, I am finally getting back to glove hunting. Picked up these items in various place since the beginning of the year. They are not museum pieces, but then I don't live in a museum. :D

Top row: Very nice Lowe & Campbell basemitt (needs relacing); J.C. Higgins Adolofo Luque fielders glove; unknown buckleback basemit (needs relacing)
Bottom row: Harry Gowdy catchers mitt (maker unknown), Denkert Whitey Ford Pro Master.
The framed photo has a few nice gloves in it and a surprise that I will post in another thread.

I'll post close-ups later.

Not a bad start to the year so far.
Scott W NJ
ScottWNJ
Gold Glove Poster

Re: I'm back in the hunt

Postby stockbuddy » February 19th, 2013, 2:15 pm

Scott,

Cool gloves and mitts. I am glad you could return to the hobby and hunt some leather.

Dave
stockbuddy
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby ScottWNJ » February 21st, 2013, 9:50 pm

Here are the close ups of the gloves above.

J.C. Higgins Adolfo Luque glove. Has some spots on the front. (Any tips on how to remove them) Good strong stampings.

Denkert Ed Whitey Ford Pro Master glove. Found in antique store in FL. Really nice except for the area around the button.

Neat little basemitt needs a total relace. Can't find any markings, but I'm hoping that I can do the relace without a lot of difficulty.

Lowe & Campbell basemitt. Needs a total relace. Has two web tunnels that are barely attached. Nice smooth leather with no visible markings.
There are some numbers on the back of the thumb along with the words Hand Tailored. Best thing about this one is the label. I don't have
many gloves with labels and this is my first L&C.

Harry Gowdy catchers mitt. Light stamping in script: Harry Gowdy Model. Could this be a Goldsmith?

Thoughts, comments and criticsm all equall appreciated.
Scott W NJ
ScottWNJ
Gold Glove Poster

Postby ebbets55 » February 21st, 2013, 10:11 pm

Hey Scott, good stuff. Thanks for sharing. Rubbing Alcohol on the dark spots. Make sure you condition it good afterwards as alcohol will dry it out pretty good. It has always been my go-to answer for that black grime you find in between the fingers on those 40-50's gloves. Don't use it on a whole glove, just the dark spots. I follow up with Vaseline, not Lexol.

JD
ebbets55
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby orangekrate » February 26th, 2013, 2:35 pm

Hey JD -

Good tip on the rubbing alcohol. Here's hoping it works on the *dried* out black grime that always appears on 40s/50s Rawlings glove faces... I have more than a few of those....

I think that's what Kenny Jenkins uses, too - it's gotta be some sort of alcohol-based stuff to break through.

-Bruce
orangekrate
Rookie Glove Poster

Return to Today I Found... / Vintage Glove Pictures