Some Interesting Wilson Gloves and Mitts

Share your antique show, flea market, garage sale, dumpster dive finds in this section. Post pictures of your most recent additions.

Some Interesting Wilson Gloves and Mitts

Postby mikesglove » October 18th, 2012, 1:34 am

Here is an assortment of some interesting Wilson gloves from here and there.

Circa 1920 Model 604 "Professional League" glove. This was my first vintage Wilson. I liked the black on black.

Within a few years, Wilson introduced the "Harry Heilman" model 604. Virtually the same glove as above.

A full web "Slate Horsehide" model 605. I bought this from a friend in Massachusetts. He sold off some of his collection and knew I like this one. Unusual light grey leather. Wilson used oxblood leather for the piping, welting and interiors of some of their models. That gave the gloves a nice contrast.

About the same time as the Heilman model, Wilson introduces the "Babe Ruth" model 605. I am not sure if it is the same slate leather but a beauty nonetheless.

A circa 1920 "Professional League" model 600. Creamy white horsehide with the oxblood interior and trim.

I liked the turquoise green stitching on the back.

A 1920's "Professional " model 610 in buff horsehide.

A pre 1920 model 502 catchers mitt with the 1914 patent wrist strap and WWI "War Department" stamp
Last edited by mikesglove on October 29th, 2012, 1:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.
mikesglove
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Re: Some Interesting Wilson Gloves and Mitts

Postby softball66 » October 18th, 2012, 8:06 am

Very nice "arresting" Wilson gloves. Gotta love those patches too! Super look at Wilson for that era.
Thanks Mike!
:roll:
softball66

Postby mikesglove » October 23rd, 2012, 1:07 pm

Thanks Joe. Here is an interesting pre 1920's model 551 basemitt. It was listed as the "glove thumb" model and features a buckle web. The thumb section of the mitt was sewn on to the main body similar to the construction of fielders gloves. This allowed for more flexibility compared to the one piece face on mitts of the era. This mitt also has a cool wrist strap design, something that Wilson departed from in favor of a more angular style in later years.

Wilson redesigned the model 551 in the 1920's. Here is a "Ray Grimes" model 551 with a "fastback" style wrist opening and new wrist strap design. The buckle web was still present however.

In the same era as the Grimes model 551, was the "Lefty Grimm" model 550. They were the top two Wilson mitts in the mid 1920's. You can see some difference in the wrist opening.
mikesglove

Postby vintagebrett » October 23rd, 2012, 2:16 pm

My two favorites - Wilson short finger model Hornsby and my A2000

vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby mikesglove » October 25th, 2012, 3:11 pm

I like the "Hornsby" stubby finger 648S model. Not really familiar with that one. Have seen a lot of the "M" model and your "L" model for sale is really stunning. I remember it from the National show. Interesting that the catalog lists the 648S as a pitchers model, I guess because of the long pocket. At one time I owned the Wilson "Carl Hubbell" model 600 that is on JD's site. Not really visible in the picture is the stamping in the pocket, "Professional Pitchers Model". The glove had regular length fingers but was such a monster that the ball disappeared in the pocket anyway. The triple tunnel web also helped.
mikesglove

Postby mikesglove » October 28th, 2012, 2:06 pm

Here is a full web model 608R in good condition.

Here is a similar model 608S from JD's site. Interesting in that it is stamped Thomas E. Wilson on the front and has a wrist strap button stamped with "Sell".

Thomas Wilson bought out several companies when he took over the operations at Ashland Mfg in 1914. Chicago Soprting Goods was one for the manufacture of uniforms and Sell Sporting Goods was another for the manufacture of gloves and balls. Sell Sporting Goods was located in Canton OH. and was an outgrowth of Sell Horse Goods Co., owned by William Sell. Thomas Wilson did not immediately move the Canton plant to Chicago but used it in Canton as a subsidiary till 1919. The Wilson model 608S glove above might reflect a transition period before the Wilson brand was completely integrated. William Sell was also the inventor of the innovative wrist strap found on some early Wilson mitts. The Wilson model 502 mitt above shows the 1914 patented wrist strap.

There are a few Sell Brand gloves and mitts out there but they are understandably scarce. Below are a couple of Sell catchers mitts with a great look to them. Super cloth patch and the patented wrist strap on the mitts below.

The mitt below also features the J.A. Peach patented bifurcated leather reinforcing patch at the wrist opening. This is a mitt I would be interested in buying if the seller is willing.
mikesglove

Postby mikesglove » February 15th, 2013, 2:31 pm

Here is a 1930's "Red Ruffing" model 623 three finger glove.

The same model number 623 was used in the 1920's on this nice sewn web black leather glove with contrasting white cloth piping and leather welting.

Another black leather model. This one a circa 1952 "Andy Pafko" model 2080 in unused condition. The white stitching really stands out.
Last edited by mikesglove on February 18th, 2013, 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
mikesglove

Postby okdoak » February 16th, 2013, 3:36 am

Mike, your Ted Lyons picture with his odd glove made me think of this one. Don't know for sure if it is a Wilson. Joe's Source Book shows that Evers endorsed a model for them as late as 1925, but it was a mid-line. And of course the one picture I found of the back kinda looks like a Wilson tag, but it's just unclear enough to tick me off :x

eversglove.jpg
eversglove2.jpg
eversglove2.jpg (19.58 KiB) Viewed 670462 times
eversglove1.jpg
okdoak

Postby mikesglove » February 17th, 2013, 2:50 am

That really does look like the glove Lyons is wearing and the tag seems the right location, size and color for Wilson. I like the equal size finger stalls. A super cool looking glove.
mikesglove

Postby mikesglove » April 20th, 2013, 3:47 pm

Thomas E Wilson established a distribution agreement with Western Sporting Goods Mfg. Co. in 1919. The two companies merged in 1925 as Wilson-Western Sporting Goods. Thomas Wilson acquired Western Sporting Goods to expand his company into the baseball uniform industry.

Western Sporting Goods was a uniform supplier to the Cubs and White Sox at least as far back as 1912. Below is an great looking ad from 1912.

below is another ad from 1918 relating to Uniform swatches.

Western also manufactured a whole line of baseball equipment in addition to uniforms. Below is an ad from 1916

Below is a "Professional Model" full web fielders glove from Western Sporting Goods Mfg. Co. of Chicago. It may be the only known example.

mikesglove

Postby mikesglove » August 19th, 2013, 1:53 pm

Prior to 1908 Sears relied on Spalding and then Victor Sporting Goods for their gloves and mitts. The J.C. Higgins house brand was started by Sears in 1908 and Western Sporting Goods was chosen to furnish equipment for Sears because both companies were headquartered in Chicago. Once Western Sporting Goods was taken over by Thomas Wilson, Wilson Sporting Goods became the de facto supplier for Sears.

Below are some ads touting the new J.C. Higgins trademark from a 1908 Sears catalog. Still evident are some remaining Victor products in addition to the "Black Beauty" base mitt and the buckle back webless and full web Higgins models.

mikesglove

Postby cbrandis » August 23rd, 2013, 12:17 am

not as old as some of the other wilson gloves, but still cool wilson-western with a wrap-around zipper

IMG_1816.jpg
IMG_1820.JPG
cbrandis
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby mikesglove » August 23rd, 2013, 2:20 pm

That is a nice mitt. I didn't know about that one.
mikesglove

Postby mikesglove » September 23rd, 2013, 11:30 am

A rare "Charlie Hollocher" model 652 glove circa 1923. Possibly made before Wilson added the Wilson/Western name. hard to see the old style cloth patch but it is there, just faded and worn down. Nice logo button and the old style Thomas E. Wilson markings on the front are great. Hollocher played for the Cubs prior to 1924.
652.jpg
652a.jpg
mikesglove

Postby mikesglove » May 19th, 2014, 8:33 pm

Been a while since a nice early Wilson glove showed up. This model 601 "Professional League" glove sold on ebay for $637. Shows some wear but still really displays well. Markings still plainly visible and the cloth patch is super. It was a top model in its day.

mikesglove

Next

Return to Today I Found... / Vintage Glove Pictures