Brimfield Day 1 - May 8, 2007

Share your antique show, flea market, garage sale, dumpster dive finds in this section. Post pictures of your most recent additions.

Brimfield Day 1 - May 8, 2007

Postby vintagebrett » May 8th, 2007, 6:18 pm

Ah, our favorite time of the year - Brimfield! My Dad and I headed out early this morning in this beautiful New England weather. There didn't seem to be as much stuff to look at like last year, but we still did pretty well. Best part of the day was talking shop with MVALZ and Glove-Works!

Here's a list of what we found - prices were reasonable on all of our pickups

SPLIT FINGERS
Ken-Wel "Vance Style" glove - some kind of endorsement but needs to be cleaned -lining is shot.
Goldsmith DW Elmer Riddle
JC Higgins Ed Brandt
OK MFG Co. Bobby Doerr
Folsom Co. Charlie Keller (LH)
Spalding model Frank "Lefty" O'Doul

1B MITTS
MacGregor GBB Moose Skowrn personal model (LH)
Sonnett Ferris Fain
Wilson model 560 professional model w/ original box

CATCHERS MITTS
Baily's Glastonbury - kind of neat mitt - label is on the inner lining!

POST WAR FIELDERS
Rawlings MM5 Mickey Mantle
Rawlings PM9 The Playmaker 3 finger glove
Rawlings WS300 Warren Spahn
Rawlings G680 Ken Boyer
Rawlings XFG6 Heat of the Hide
Reach Tripe Play three finger glove
MacGregor G108 Bob Thomson spider web glove (LH)
Wilson A2010 Antonelli personal model
Glovemaster by Medalist Gus Zernial glove

BAT
Hanna Batire flying bat log "Goslin" model - great bat but end is eaten up!

Mike, you should have stayed for the last show! 8)

Here are some pics:
Dad and Liam O'Bannion talk gloves and bat

Brucy Wiley's table of leather

Our Finds

Wilson 1B Mitt w/ Box

Goslin Batrite bat
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby MVALZ » May 8th, 2007, 7:41 pm

Great seeing you today B & F...you guys did well! Mike and I didn't find as much but enjoyed the hunt. I do appreciate you passing up on the LHT 1b mitt...turned out to be a HOH DCT-7. A beauty! -Mark
MVALZ
Gold Glove Poster

Good Day

Postby glove-works » May 8th, 2007, 10:04 pm

Actually pleased with my single glove purchase today....Rawlings PM Stan Musial HOH. Great meeting you and your Dad Brett...finally. Cruising the flea with MVALZ is alway's a blast, also enjoyed playing catch in the parking lot with some new leather....love that new Primo.

Good Times
Glove-Works
Home of "the Works"
Glove Repair/Restoration & Sales
www.glove-works.com
glove-works
Gold Glove Poster

Great Pictures!

Postby softball66 » May 10th, 2007, 8:08 am

It's wonderful putting faces and the like with the names: the vintage equipment Irishman Liam O'Bannion and likewise seeing Bruce Wiley's gloves, both gentlemen of whom I've had dozens of conversations with over the years. Great Fellows and ardent lovers of the leather and wood!!!
Brett, think it over and talk with your dad...but can you and he list your top five greatest finds at Brimfield over the years. No exact criteria, just what gave you the most pleasure.
:wink:
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » May 10th, 2007, 7:04 pm

I should have taken a picture of Mike and Mark to post as well - i'll get them in July! :lol:

Five best/greatest/favorite finds:

1) Waite Hoyt glove - Found this at the first show we went to back in the very early 90's. Dad sold it to John Graham the next day. I got some of the profit - this was very exciting for me!

2) Howard Ehmke 3 Finger D&M glove - I think this is the only 3 finger we've ever seen there.

3) Hutch basketball picture box from the 1930's - not a glove but this has been in my collection for years and is one of my favorite collectibles.

4) White leather Spalding full web with team picture of the guy who used it - This is one I wish I had kept!

5) The Bacon/Egg/Cheese sandwich from the guy in the yellow stand in the middle of the show. If you don't get a breakfast sandwich from this guy when you are there, you are missing out!

My dad probably has a different list of things but to me, these are the most memorable for some reason.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby crackofthebat » May 11th, 2007, 6:25 am

I'm not going to disagree with anything on Brett's list, but I will add one fond memory of my own. Besides all the neat finds, the excitement of the hunt, and spending time with my 3 sons, it has been a place where I was able to meet and talk with so many collectors in this hobby. I still feel this hobby has the best people in the world associated with it! :D
crackofthebat
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Spring Fever » May 14th, 2007, 8:58 am

Brett.....didn't make it to Brimfield this May, but seems like you made out quite well. Once your dad fixes up the Goslin bat, let me know if you're selling it. Thanks, Bob
Spring Fever
Rookie Glove Poster

Return to Today I Found... / Vintage Glove Pictures