Bill Doak glove?

Share your antique show, flea market, garage sale, dumpster dive finds in this section. Post pictures of your most recent additions.

Bill Doak glove?

Postby rondonmb » August 21st, 2012, 9:27 pm

Picked up this glove at the Madison Bouckville antique show last weekend. It has the Doak patent dates on the glove but does not mention Bill Doak anywhere. The stampings say "Oil Tanned", "Rawlings St. Louis", "Professional Model", "C4" and the patent dates. Any thoughts?
rondonmb
Rookie Glove Poster

Re: Bill Doak glove?

Postby okdoak » August 21st, 2012, 10:36 pm

I have the same model glove with the same patent stampings on it. It's an unendorsed Professional Model, not a Bill Doak glove. The Aug. 22, 1922 stamping just covers the features that Rawlings and Bill Doak patented; the laced web and the thumb seam protector. Not sure what the Nov.21, 1922 patent covered. Maybe it was the change to having the eyelets and web on the back side of the finger and thumb? Very neat glove. I like the Standard Collegiate Supplies Company tag on yours. Mine just has the Rawlings tag.
Here is the original Doak patent drawing:

okdoak
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby rondonmb » August 22nd, 2012, 10:21 am

Thanks for the info. This glove had me stumped. Was this glove issued in the Rawlings catalog or in specific sporting goods stores catalogs? Also, do you know what year it is from?
rondonmb
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » August 22nd, 2012, 11:06 am

I've had a couple similar Rawlings gloves with model numbers that arent in the catalogs. My guess is that it was stamped specifically for the store who's tag is on the back. Rawlings made and distributed gloves to many sporting goods and hardware stores.

Love those double tagged gloves - good find.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Return to Today I Found... / Vintage Glove Pictures