Rare or rarely seen

Share your antique show, flea market, garage sale, dumpster dive finds in this section. Post pictures of your most recent additions.

Rare or rarely seen

Postby Rickybulldog » August 13th, 2012, 1:19 pm

As of late, I have been acquiring some rare gloves and models (sometimes my glove collecting takes me certain directions). Just like many of you, I was a card collector prior to becoming a glove collector and have really been fascinated by the overall scarcity of some endorsements and models. Some gloves listed in the pocket price guides are listed as rare or very rare, but over the past couple of years more examples have come to light. One example I have come across is Frank Demaree, who played for the Cubs, Browns, Ny Giants to name a few, who has had a few gloves pop up as of late. Has anyone noticed any other endorsers who were once thought of as rare or very rare and now have seen more examples?

Feel free to post any of your rare/very rare/ultra rare examples. I will post photos of some of mine when I get off work.
Rickybulldog
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Re: Rare or rarely seen

Postby bing » August 13th, 2012, 6:37 pm

Cool question mr bulldog! I have a glove that has WP in the palm. Have you ever seen this? The signature starts with a J and the ending of the last name looks like " illo". What ya think? It kinda has a weird odor too.
Thanks
bing
bing
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby Rickybulldog » August 13th, 2012, 7:46 pm

Haha! B-dawg aka Bing you had me for like 20 seconds, and then I realized you were joking. Haha. I haven't heard from our friend as of late, he may be riding around in his "man car" or contemplating his next collecting venture. :)

Here are some rarely seen gloves:

I was fortunate enough to snag this from the John Graham collection in the Legendary auction. This is a Heinie Groh Draper & Maynard one inch web fielder's glove. Groh is sought after because of his unique Goldsmith gloves with the connecting fingers and his bottle bat he used. Also added interest because he was a part of the 1919 Reds. This D&M model is a unique model.
heinie.jpg

Another tough one is a Rawlings white/cream color Art Fletcher full web fielder's glove. Most I've seen have been on the one inch variety, but if anyone has seen another full web please chime in. Fletcher played for the New York Giants, but he also has a coach on the 1927 Yankees. I got this beauty while trading (he may call it traping) with another SOCAL collector.

art fletcher.JPG
Rickybulldog

Postby Rickybulldog » August 13th, 2012, 8:32 pm

Here's another tough one I picked up mid year from a Chicago collector. This one is a Ken wel with Vance style lacing and features the endorsement of Reds infielder Sammy Bohne. This glove is super soft and well-made. Not too many of these come up.
bohne.jpg

Another John Graham glove I got outside Legendary in a trade with a Georgia collector. Here's a tough to come by Wes Ferrell glove. This G14 model was seen in the 1936 catalogs, but I can't find them in 35 or 37. Would love to see another Ferrell glove or example.

Ferrell.jpg
Rickybulldog

Postby mikesglove » August 14th, 2012, 1:24 am

I like the Rawlings "Art Fletcher" glove quite a bit. The endorsed full web models are ones I also look to collect. They are pretty tough to find. It is funny that more "Sammy Bohne" gloves don't show up. He was a well advertized and featured endorser for KenWel back in the day.
mikesglove

Postby Rickybulldog » August 15th, 2012, 12:01 am

Glad you like endorsed sewn webs Mike.

Here's a really nice one I had my eye on since the Chicago National. William and I were lucky to pull off a trade for this Goldsmith Carl Mays full web. It's a nice large glove and has a great look to it.
carl-mays-goldsmith-xl-front[1].jpg

Here's one you don't see often. A Thos. E Wilson Dave Robertson full web. This one has a great patch and a nice color to it. I didn't think I had a chance on this one, but was fortunate enough to pull off a great trade with a TEW collector. Thanks again! He knows he has first dibs on it if I ever get restless. 8)
robertson.JPG
Rickybulldog

Postby vintagebrett » August 15th, 2012, 6:44 am

There was a really nice white leather Reach endorsed seen web at the National. I can't recall the players name but it is one I hadn't seen before. I know Dave bushing bought it some I'm sure it will resurface at some point. Maybe William remembers the players name.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby GloveCrazy » August 18th, 2012, 2:38 pm

Rickybulldog wrote:I got this beauty Art Fletcher while trading (he may call it traping) with another SOCAL collector.

Yes, I hear he feels fleeced and will one day fetch back that Fletcher.
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby Rickybulldog » August 23rd, 2012, 11:03 pm

Couple more. Here's a Cubs toughie. A one inch web endorsed by Charlie Hollacher. I picked this one up from a fellow collector who owned 2 of them.

hollacher.JPG

Here's a light colored Marathon Hans Lobert full web. Picked this nice one up in a trade.
Lobert.JPG
Rickybulldog

Postby mikesglove » December 26th, 2012, 7:13 pm

Here are a couple from Ray Wood, longtime sports memorabilia dealer in CA. Ray is a legend to the glove collecting hobby. He was a pawn shop owner before he and his wife started traversing the country in their motor home looking for sports stuff. He has a good eye and made some spectacular finds in the glove collecting hobby over the years.

His first glove is recent and didn't make the ebay reserve of $950. Maybe a little optimistic considering the glove is only in fair condition. Still a rare find with the grommet back, something not often seen on a fielders glove.

The second glove goes way back before the forum. it is a beauty with the Reach logo still visible in the pocket. Ray picked this up for $20 at dealer setup day.
mikesglove

Re: Rare or rarely seen-Heinie Groh

Postby softball66 » December 27th, 2012, 10:44 am

I was caretaker of the Groh glove for about 10 or so years. Big surprise when I got it. Guessed then it was extremely rare. Fellow who sold it to me, told me
he almost messed it up cleaning it because of that suede type leather finish. I sold it and two other rare gloves: Pete Donohue and Hans Lobert to John as a trifecta about three years ago.
Right about some of the glove names we thought very rare have turned out not to be so because of the proliferation of the internet sales. Makes filling out various collection goals a little easier.
softball66

Return to Today I Found... / Vintage Glove Pictures