gloves found on etsy

Share your antique show, flea market, garage sale, dumpster dive finds in this section. Post pictures of your most recent additions.

gloves found on etsy

Postby mlangley5 » June 21st, 2012, 6:19 pm

I found this on etsy
http://img2-ec.etsystatic.com/000/0/6686348/il_570xN.299906786.jpg
mickey mantle glove
I have been over my head before so i thought i better ask. Can this glove be saved? is worth the 46 dollars? (i included shipping)

here is another
http://img2-ec.etsystatic.com/000/0/656 ... 449110.jpg

This one looks really neat they are asking $80
http://img2-ec.etsystatic.com/il_570xN.336200938.jpg

They are asking 31.50 for this pee wee reese glove
http://img3-ec.etsystatic.com/000/0/590 ... 243907.jpg

This looks really close to the one on ebay that sold for over $500
http://www.etsy.com/listing/101303823/v ... h_type=all

Sorry I am still new to this and love looking at old gloves
mlangley5
Veteran Glove Poster

Re: gloves found on etsy

Postby murphusa » June 21st, 2012, 8:40 pm

I wouldn't buy any of them at a garage sale for $5.00 total
Hell Bent for Leather
murphusa
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby murphusa » June 21st, 2012, 9:05 pm

go back through the pages here and look for flea market finds and the sort and see what others are buying. Scott is a great one for finding gloves that don't cost much, may need a little work but are well worth the money he spends on them.

Don't be fooled by online sales, there are diamonds in the rough

Take your time, a good collection does not happen overnight.
Hell Bent for Leather
murphusa

Postby mlangley5 » June 21st, 2012, 9:06 pm

why would you say that? I realize some are in pretty bad shape like the mantle but that three finger glove looks cool i would give at lest $10 for it
mlangley5
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby murphusa » June 21st, 2012, 9:11 pm

it is not all there, and they are asking $80 not $10 here is what it should look like
Attachments
spalding-1331-front_125_cw125_ch108_thumb.jpg
spalding-1331-front_125_cw125_ch108_thumb.jpg (8.47 KiB) Viewed 11167 times
$(KGrHqJ,!gwE160cou),BNswe3zmyQ~~_12.jpg
Last edited by murphusa on June 21st, 2012, 9:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hell Bent for Leather
murphusa

Postby murphusa » June 21st, 2012, 9:14 pm

I'm not knocking you just trying to say slow down alittle and look around before you make your purchases. There are plenty of people on this site who will help you.

You made a great pick on the Nakona. Take some time, clean it up and you will find that you made a wise choice. Broken lace or not
Hell Bent for Leather
murphusa

Postby mlangley5 » June 21st, 2012, 10:03 pm

i understand that is why i was posting those links anyways...I really don't have the damnedest clue of what i am doing. I only knew of nokona from when i worked at a sporting goods store in college. I have a bm 76 it really intersting to look at them side by side
thanks for posting those photos
mlangley5
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby deebro041 » June 21st, 2012, 10:39 pm

I understand what Murphusa is saying. I have not been in this too long, but i wanted to buy everything right away. I made some interesting choices into my purchases and now after learning and reading all the great info the pros give i am left wondering 'what was i thinking'. There is always going to be some cool gloves come up for sale and with patience there is always cooler gloves becoming available!
Not sure if this helps but i feel for you!
Dan
deebro041

Postby ScottWNJ » June 21st, 2012, 11:39 pm

Langley, I've been biting my tongue for several days, debating whether or not I should comment on some your posts. But now that the ice has been broken so to speak, here is my two cents. You need to step up your game and concentrate on better stuff. Some of those Etsy (?) gloves are missing lacing and webbing. Clearly they are not worth what the sellers are asking. You should familiarize your self with the different glove styles before buying any more gloves. Then you'll be able to spot flaws easier. I've been doing this for only three years, and I still pick up an occasional clunker or three. (My latest bomb was a child size Dizzy Trout glove; great endorsement, crap glove). Regarding the Seaway glove you found...avoid import gloves like the plague: Korea, Taiwan, Japan, Philippines, Indonesia, etc. (I've broken my own rule several times because I let my enthusiasm for not wanting to go home empty handed cloud my judgement). The only import I do collect is Mexico. There are many members of this community who are far more expereinced at collecting than I am. Listen to them and learn from them. Pick up the books, especially Joe's price guide (I keep one in each car and one in the house, so I always have it when I need it). Also get the Glove Source book. Take a look at JD's site baseballglovecollector.com. He has a huge photo gallery of different gloves. Depending on your financial status, you may or may not be able to afford some of the better gloves. I know I'll never be able to afford gloves like the high priced stuff that shows up in Glove of the Month, but I look at them everyday anyway. You should too. All part of the learning process. There are still bargains out there. You just have to learn how to spot them. I appreciate your enthusiam for the hobby, but I urge you to step back a bit, take a breath and make good choices. As you go further into the hobby, you will realize that quality trumps quantity every time. Good luck and welcome aboard.

Scott
Scott W NJ
ScottWNJ
Gold Glove Poster

Postby mlangley5 » June 22nd, 2012, 12:29 am

Scott;
Thanks for the info...I better listen to my "coaches" here. I stumbled on this hobby by pure chance. I will calm down a bit
mlangley5
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby ebbets55 » June 22nd, 2012, 12:24 pm

mlangley drop me a note at ebbets55 at aol .com. I'll be happy to speak with you on the phone and get you pointed in the right direction. We can talk about tips and tricks, resources and the different ways people collect, what kinds of gloves to look for and what kind aren't so collectible. Happy to help if you want it.

JD
ebbets55

Postby chippalini » June 26th, 2012, 6:41 pm

Listen to these guys and take JD up on his offer. They have helped me a ton (especially JD) over the beginning of my collection. You have found a great source of knowledge here.
chippalini
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby mlangley5 » June 26th, 2012, 9:41 pm

I did call JD and appreciated that he took the time to speak with me. Notice I haven't posted anything the last few days.
mlangley5
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby chippalini » June 30th, 2012, 12:28 pm

No worries. We all are very excited when we first start collecting. I am a niche collector, but at first was buying all sorts of gloves. It took me a while to learn to slow down and only buy the gloves that meet the parameters I have set for myself. It takes time to be more discerning. Welcome to the hobby.
chippalini
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Broomie23 » July 7th, 2012, 12:32 pm

This is very helpful as I have gotten back in the hobby recently and I am learning each day. How long should it take to restore a glove from start to finish? I think I am trying to rush it a bit and may have ruined the first restoration?
Broomie23
Rookie Glove Poster

Return to Today I Found... / Vintage Glove Pictures