April 28-29 Finds

Share your antique show, flea market, garage sale, dumpster dive finds in this section. Post pictures of your most recent additions.

April 28-29 Finds

Postby vintagebrett » April 29th, 2007, 2:25 pm

The wife and I headed over to Michigan for the weekend to hit some antique malls, visit relatives and enjoy the fun Allegan Antique show. Found some good stuff this weekend!

The vintage pennants came out of an antique mall on Saturday - they are all in excellent shape and I think they date back to the 20's or 30's. Nothing I plan on keeping but they are still cool looking!

You can't probably see it in the picture, but the postcard in the center is of the House of David team circa 1925. Neat item with some cool looking equipment in the front and the spiffy hairdos sported by the members!

Today at the show I picked up a couple gloves - a 14 inch Nokona glove (yikes! - this is huge), a Spalding trapper 1B mitt, an early Don Larsen glove, a Wilson A2201 Al Kaline, buckle back catchers mitt with a name (can't read yet - dirty and haven't cleaned), Sonnett Bill Tuttle trap-eze model and the best of the bunch - an OK model 845 Hank Greenberg 1B mitt!!! One glove I really wanted but couldn't buy because of condition was a Sonnett Orlando Cepedea fielder's mitt - it was a top line glove but there was a tear in the pocket of the glove that I just couldn't get past. Oh well, win some, lose some.

The bat is an H&B LS 125 Frank Robinson R133 college bat from Wayne State. Football jersey was made by Goldsmith and is really cool. The lady who I bought it from wondered if it was a University of Michigan jersey. Guess I'll have to look into that. Overall, not a bad weekend!

Last edited by vintagebrett on April 29th, 2007, 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby vintagebrett » April 29th, 2007, 7:45 pm

Here are some pics of the Hank Greenberg glove - leather is very soft and supple. Inner lining feels great. Stampings are strong. It's too bad OK only made the Greenberg's with plastic binding.

Oh, and after cleaning the buckle back catcher's mitt I'm pretty sure it is a Hank DeBerry, which I guess is a very rare find.

vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby mjkm90 » April 30th, 2007, 7:32 am

Hi Brett, I heard Allegan gets picked pretty quick by a couple guys who rent a booth simply to buy during set up. Did you find many items that were overpriced but high end?
Mike H.
mjkm90
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » April 30th, 2007, 8:46 am

I didn't see any table that had high end stuff. There was one gentleman with some early kids gloves and nice large, D&M buckle back catchers mitt - these were over priced. That was about it.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

allegan show

Postby Bravosin99 » June 24th, 2007, 2:54 pm

Brett-

We were at this show!! Wish we would have known you back then....I actually saw the football jersey and went to get dad to show him and came back and it was gone...at least I know who got it :lol: ......We also saw the Greenberg in the case and decided to pass because we were out of money already....I also noticed in your other posting about the allegan show you mentioned a 20's goldsmith glove you saw (was it in the back row closest to the grandstand)??? If so im pretty sure we picked it up because the guy wanted $125 for it and I heckled him down to $85 for it....It cleaned up very nice...I have pics if you would like to see them
Talk to you later- Josh
Bravosin99
Gold Glove Poster

Allegan Goldsmith glove????

Postby Bravosin99 » June 24th, 2007, 3:10 pm

Brett- Is this the Goldsmith you were talking about from the Allegan show on Sunday May, 28 2006 post (long strange trip)...
Bravosin99
Gold Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » June 24th, 2007, 5:37 pm

Yes! That was the glove. Glad a fellow collector picked it up and not some eBay seller.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Return to Today I Found... / Vintage Glove Pictures