Help with Ray Schalk and Chico Carrasquel gloves

Share your antique show, flea market, garage sale, dumpster dive finds in this section. Post pictures of your most recent additions.

Help with Ray Schalk and Chico Carrasquel gloves

Postby jriblings » February 15th, 2012, 2:52 pm

Hello everyone. I'm new here, and I found a couple of vintage gloves at a thrift store that I need help identifying. Any feedback on the age or value of the gloves would be hugely appreciated.

The first glove is a Wilson Ray Schalk catchers mitt. I called Wilson and they could only tell me over the phone that it was manufactured sometime between 1922 and 1948. If anyone can tell by the style what year it may be that would be awesome.

Pictures below:

The second glove is a left handed fielders glove. I can make out the words: Nokona trademarked Nocona Texas and then a large G on the palm. Under the pinky finger it is autograph stamped Chico Carrasquel. I have no idea how old this is, or what it would be worth, so any ideas would be wonderful.

pictures below:

Thanks everyone. I look forward to your comments. Have a great day.
jriblings
Rookie Glove Poster

Re: Help with Ray Schalk and Chico Carrasquel gloves

Postby mikesglove » February 15th, 2012, 4:51 pm

they look to be in the mid to late 1940's. They may be worth about $5-$15 a piece. The Schalk is missing the cloth patch although the mitt is in good shape. The Nokona is a cheap childs model.
mikesglove
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » February 15th, 2012, 5:19 pm

Wilson made the schalk mitt through the mid 50's. It looks to be the black/red tag that was originally on there so I'd place it in the early 1950's.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby ScottWNJ » February 16th, 2012, 12:21 am

Ouch. Telling an enthusiatic new Forum member that his glove is a "cheap child's model" seems a bit harsh to me. If we want the hobby to grow and attract new members like "J-Rib", we should perhaps be more supportive in our posts. While the Nokona is in fact an inexpensive youth model, it represents a starting point for a new collector.
We all have to start somewhere with some type of glove, and most of us aren't going to turn up a Ruth G41 on our first effort.

In any case, welcome aboard J-Rib, (you didn't give your first name). There is a ton of information here. Happy reading, and be sure to keep us informed of your future finds.

Scott
Scott W NJ
ScottWNJ
Gold Glove Poster

Postby jriblings » February 16th, 2012, 12:32 am

Thanks Scott. My name is Jeff. I found the gloves interesting looking and novel. I didn't think I was catching a big score, I was just curious if they were worth what I paid for them. The Nokona was $6, and the Schalk $14.

The site was a great place for me to learn a little about the gloves. I also called the manufacturers and a local sports memorabilia seller to try and find out some info.

Thanks to every one for the info. I'll let you know if I find any other goodies.

Jeff
jriblings
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby MAD BRAD » February 16th, 2012, 12:42 am

Hi Jeff i am new to this hobby as well, nice find the catchers glove is cool and i think a great price, the other glove is a great find as well not all of us can spend hundreds of dollars on gloves. And I would need to learn more before i do buy a high $$$ glove. Lots of great people on this site who have helped me in my picking i do not spend over 40 on any gloves. Call me what you will but if i make a error on a glove its still fun. My Stall Dean glove was 15 dollars and is worth quite a bit more so keep on picking Brad :D
MAD BRAD
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby ScottWNJ » February 16th, 2012, 10:47 am

Jeff, if you are going to build a collection, you should get Joe Phillips glove price guide and his glove source book. Both are invaluable tools for the new or veteran collector. I keep a price guide in my glove box for when I'm making the rounds of flea markets and antique stores. I keep another price guide in the house for when I'm shopping for gloves online. You can find Joe here on the forum, or on Ebay (seller name: bubbared). Happy hunting.

Scott
Scott W NJ
ScottWNJ
Gold Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » February 16th, 2012, 3:12 pm

I don't think mike was trying to be a downer labeling the glove a cheap child's model - that's exactly what it is. It was intended for a young user and was cheaper than better quality gloves. I'm happy to own quite a few of them an dont think it's a put off when they are called that.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby jriblings » February 17th, 2012, 12:47 pm

Well, I ended up selling the catchers mitt for $55. Not bad, and hopefully the guy will enjoy it.

Thanks for all of your help guys.
jriblings
Rookie Glove Poster

Return to Today I Found... / Vintage Glove Pictures