Carl Yastrzemski Spalding

Share your antique show, flea market, garage sale, dumpster dive finds in this section. Post pictures of your most recent additions.

Carl Yastrzemski Spalding

Postby robert1977 » December 18th, 2011, 6:00 pm

I picked up a nice Carl Yastrzemski "Triple Crown" Spalding at a thrift store today for $3. The model number is 42-3422. Is this a kids' glove? All the Yastrzemski triple Crown gloves I've seen have been 42-3421. What's the difference?

I figure I got a decent deal, since the glove was so cheap. Am I right on that?

Thanks, as usual, for putting up with my questions and helping a glove newbie.

Happy holidays.
robert1977
Rookie Glove Poster

Re: Carl Yastrzemski Spalding

Postby BretMan » December 19th, 2011, 12:46 am

Model numbers that vary slightly from the collected catalog data pop up fairly often. Is this by chance a left-handed glove? It was common practice to use a different model number on RH and LH gloves. Often just the last digit of the model number was changed. One other possibility is that this was a glove intended for sale through a retail outlet other than sporting goods stores, like through a chain of department stores or maybe even at a ballpark souvenior stand.

I have one of these and it is smaller than a full-sized adult glove, but a bigger than the smallest kid-sized gloves. I guess that you could call it a "mid-sized" glove.

Three bucks for a forty year old glove, commemorating a special season by a Hall of Fame player? That's a good deal in my book! "Rare" might not be a word you'd use to describe this glove- Spalding produced thousands of these and they are pretty easy to find today. But if you think it's cool...then it's a cool glove!
Click to Visit >> The Glove Shop On-Line
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby mikesglove » December 19th, 2011, 2:29 am

i owned a Yaz glove similar to Bret's model. it was a youth import glove. Here is an ebay auction for a "triple crown" model you may find interesting. The glove at auction seems of better quality than the ones I have seen around at yard sales.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CARL-YASTRZEMSKI-SPALDING-TRIPLE-CROWN-GLOVE-AND-DISPLAY-BOX-VERY-RARE-/200660576972?pt=Vintage_Sports_Memorabilia&hash=item2eb84d6acc
mikesglove
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby robert1977 » December 19th, 2011, 1:33 pm

You guys are brilliant. It is a left-hand model. It took me about 30 minutes to condition the glove, and it looks great. Good to know that I made a good decision to pick it up.

Thanks again.

Robert
robert1977
Rookie Glove Poster

Return to Today I Found... / Vintage Glove Pictures